what is a good hen to buy?

miron28

Songster
11 Years
Sep 8, 2008
lenoir north carolina
Hello every one what is a good laying hen to start off with? I want one that is going to lay eggs year round? Is there any type like that? How many months out of the year do they lay? I am new to this whole chicken thing. I am just getting started so any info will help thank you
big_smile.png

We started out going to a free range farm to get our chickens and then went online to find out what they were. The sweetest one is a buff orpington. So then we went and bought 4 more BO's. They truly are sweet. The older one is my favorite and the babies are 6 weeks old now and love me! They wi ll sit in my arms and go to sleep and when they are in their brooder, the stick their beaks out at me.

How many eggs do they produce in a day? How many months out of the year do they produce for? I don't want a chicken that only produces 3 months out of the year to me that is a waste of money on feed. I was thinking about getting Buff Orpington are they a good laying hen?

I think the average egg production for each hen is two eggs in three days. As the hen ages they will lay less often and smaller eggs..

Some hens will lay yr round --depends on the breed, the strain, the weather and the bird! They may not lay as many as they normally do but they might lay.. IF you want just eggs they have cross breeds that are bred JUST to produce eggs. They have shorter production lives but they will produce an egg almost every day.

I must agree that orpingtons are an excellent choice and another that would be a good layer is barred rocks. They are both congenial birds that lay consistantly well and are hardy.
wink.png

miron... glad to see you!
welcome-byc.gif

I hope you are not thinking of getting just one chicken. They are very social and a single chicken will not thrive if raised alone. Two is the minimum, really.

Buff Orpingtons are the way to go from all that I have heard and studied! If you can get point-of-lay birds, you won't have to worry that they mature later than other chickens.
good cluck
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom