What is a good (or bad) dog breed to have around chickens?

bethanyrae

Songster
10 Years
Apr 5, 2009
mid-Michigan
What is a good (or bad) dog breed to have around chickens? We've always had Corgis, but they are heel nipping herders...not healthy for chickens. We'd like a pet for our 12 yr son, an in- and outdoor dog, that doesn't dig under or climb fences, nor chase chickens. Ha...is there such a breed?
Would appreciate some experiences and recommendations/warnings.
thanks....

We have one chicken eater-a spaniel mix and and daschund that thinks she's a chicken and part of the flock. We were surprised by this, but I think her prey of choice is rodents-squirrels, mice, rats and sadly pet hamsters. I would go with a breed that is not a "bird dog" Though I do think it depends on the dogs temperment. I'll be interested to hear any other thoughts too as we're in the market for another dog. Hopefully to keep the chicken eater occupied, and not a co-conspiritor. Good luck!

we have three dogs. The two older dogs have been raised around chickens but I wouldn't trust them with a ten foot pole. They are a farm collie and golden retriever. We recently got a great pyrenese. She is 4 1/2 months old and has shown no interest in the chickens at all. She follows us into the runs and could care less. I still wouldn't trust her alone with the chickens.
Believe it or not the best dogs here with the chickens are my daughters (she lives next door) dogs. She has two pitbulls. They are constantly in our yard. If the grandchildren are here so are they. I have watched our older flock who freerange walk right past them and the dogs ignore them. They all gather together under the trees when its hot. Of course these pits are family raised and very gentle. I know they can be trusted with the chickens when my own can't. I truly believe its the individual dogs personality that counts not breed.

A bad dog to have around chickens would be any of the small terriers like a Jack Russel.

t have three dogs and two grand dogs they are at my home most every day.i'm new at this and do't have much experiance. with chickens. but i have had all kinds of small animals an birds around with all kinds of dogs. from american bull dogs.to
yorkshire terriers. and some mutts. it all depents if you the leader of the the pack they the dogs must be well disaplend/you have to be respected by your dog.none of these dogs.or any dog i had in the past did anyth[ng to another animal i owed i now have eight 6 week old chicks that free range most of the day . my dogs did get very curious. i told them (no) and( easy) no yhe could care less about the chickens. they are out in the yard mot of the day to gether. i leave them still wouldn't leave them unatended for a coupul of months. i gess the are in training.i had the chicks in the the dogs were aloud to smell an look at the chicks. i hope every thing go's well for you good luck: old:thumbsup

I have mini and toy poodles and they originally were bred down from hunting/bird dogs and have a tremendously strong prey drive and will kill any bird of any size or at least try. The do stop if you are there and yell out "NO" even if there are five going after the same bird, but if you are not there at the time, Bye bye birdie!

wow i realy messed that up
barnie.gif

just take it slow one small step at a time all dogs need training

My Lhasa Apso is very good with the chcikens. They are small dogs, but were originally bred as guard dogs so they do more guarding than chasing. The guarding isn't very effective because of their small size, but they try. Like all dogs, training and patience is necessary. Lhasa's have a certain temperment. You can't ever hit them or use physical punishment because it will make them mean almost instantly. Also, if you have children, the kids must be trained to not annoy the dog. If you have a Lhasa and don't discipline the kids when they are annoying the dog, the Lhasa will discipline them for you.

Breed has very little to do with what makes a good chicken dog. It's mostly in how you raise them and each individual dog's personality. Dogs should never be left unattended around chickens, period. Too many horror stories here about what happens.

That being said, I would trust my shepherd alone around my chickens. You also won't see me on here whining about my dog attacking my chickens (if she ever did) because I know the risks and should know better than to ever leave them alone together.

Back
Top Bottom