What is a good (or bad) dog breed to have around chickens?

Quote:
Okay, sorry about that folks. Lost track of time and had to get out the door quick to make an appointment. LOL

*deep breath* Back to where I was. So every "breed" has a default setting. For example, German Shepherds are suppose to be a reserved breed, latching onto their family members or one particular person and then being wary of all the rest. Almost all the GSDs I have owned have been this way EXCEPT Axel, that silly boy has the disposition of a labrador retriever. He loves to chase ducks and he is friends with EVERYONE.

So, as you are seeking a breed, you merely need to "include" chickens into your search, but not center it around the chickens. A dog is an animal that will encompass your life and you need to select to fit your and your family's life, and not just your chooks.

Dogs that do well around chickens are "usually" low energy, and very low prey drive. A high energy animal must find an outlet for that energy, and flighty feathered chew toys are quite attractive.
wink.png
Our australian shepherd was well mannered and very sweet, but a running squaking flapping chicken was just too fun to chase. With the aid of a shock collar and a couple of spankings, we eventually taught her to leave them alone. We could trust her so well, that we would leave both her and the birds alone in the yard. But, that took training and one poor victim of her playing(a standard size mutt rooster) lost all his pretty tail feathers before we made our point and trained her to the chickens. Even though our sweet australian shepherd was so well trained that she would sit and cry and worry over the newly hatched chicks and all the training she went through, we could never fully repress that need to run and chase. Sadly we lost her a few months ago, she ran out of the yard in pursuit of a cat that was stalking the chickens. Both she and the cat were struck by a car.
hit.gif

Breeds that I have found personally well suited for both family AND farm life are any of the giant breeds(I love them). Great Danes and Great Pyrenese are usually wonderful on the farm. Our local farmer breeds Danes and they roam loose on his farm. A good friend of mine raises both chickens and peafowl, she keeps a Dane herself. They are just big goofy loveable dogs. My mother has lap dogs, lhaso apso and nonsense, both ignore the chickens and can't do any damage to the cats. Personally, I don't care for small lap dogs, but that is a personal preference. The common lab usually does well, even though they were bred by bird hunters as retrievers. Labs are friendly and easily trained from puppy hood. As retrievers they are bred to be sweet and kind, even to the very birds they are bred to retrieve. It still may be instinctive to chase the birds, but they were never bred to kill or harm the birds.

Where do you plan to buy your dog? STAY AWAY FROM PET SHOPS! Many petshops, even when claiming to buy from reputable breeders, buy from puppy mill situations. This is the last place you want to get a dog. When buying a "purebred" puppy from a petshop, you can't even trust the "default" breed disposition. Why? Because these are animals that are inbred and bred for generation after generation in a cage, the ONLY requirement to become a breeding animal? Papers to prove they are "purebred". Many times these animals suffer from dispositional disorders, anxious, nervous, aggressive animals by nature. If you are going to buy a purebred, seek a breeder that works with only one or two breeds, not 4 or 5. Look for both parents on sight, so you can see the temperment of the parents for yourself. Are they well socialized animals? Are they healthy? Do they appear highly exciteable or nervous? Remember you want a calm reserved animal when you have prey animals of chickens around.

A note on adopting animals from animal shelters. While I hate to say anything bad about rescuing an animal, if you are seeking an animal easily trained and will do well around your chickens, be wary of animal shelters. While I am all for rescuing a dog and saving a life, you must be aware that a good portion of rescue dogs will have "some" issues. Some are predatory in nature, seeking animals to chase and/or kill, some a nervous and anxious around loud noises or men, they just have quirks. So if you feel you have the patience to attempt to adopt a dog, be aware that you may have to rehome or have the animal professionally trained. They may fit right in, they may take some professional work. Now a friend of mine was seeking a Great Pyrenese to guard his sheep. He contacted the local rescue and was able to obtain a 3 year old beautiful kind female Great Pyr with a clean bill of health, spayed, and LIVESTOCK GUARANTEED all for $200. It was well worth it and he went back to look for others to adopt.

Whew! Now that all this breed talk is over. Training, training, training!!!! Whatever you get, be aware it will require SOME training. Some individuals need a little, some need more. Be fully aware when getting a dog, that training is just another part of owning a dog. If you begin to have issues with your dog showing too much interest in your chickens, PLEASE CONTACT A PROFESSIONAL TRAINER. I am not a professional trainer, therefore I am simply not advertising my work. LOL A professional trainer will simplify your life soooo much and make working with your dog much, much, much easier and teach you how to train your dog. I'm not talking about trainers from Petsmart either, I am talking about true professional dog trainers. People who train dogs for a living to do stuff, from tracking, narcotics, protection, etc. Get a good trainer and you will save your money in the long run and it will be well worth your lack of a headache in the end.

Many people get a breed or individual that needs training, but instead of having the animal trained, they get rid of it. It's a pity that more people don't take an interest in their animals and pay to have them trained if all else fails. Training is just as important as health care. Take your dog to the vet to see why it's hacking up blood? Well, take your dog to the trainer to see why he still chases the chickens after you tell it no.

Good luck!
-Kim

I have an enormous american black lab named Buddy. Some friends of mine had puppies and thats how we got him. He is a great chicken watch dog. As soon as he got the idea that the chickens are part of our pack he started guarding them from the large Tom cat who hunts everything in the neighborhood. I have a small hen that I won't leave in the yard unless Buddy is guarding her. I use him to help me get the girls into the run too. He is well trained but that is because he loves to please me and he loves having a job. I had a husky for 13 years before the lab and would not recommend this breed. He killed everything- just in his blood- skunks, coons, cats. Chickens would have been folly with a husky. A soft cloth mussel can be use to train smart dogs. We had a cat with our husky trained with a soft mussel. He eventually gave up the idea of eating our cat in preference to no mussel. He still went after other cats though and I never think we could have done it with chickens because they naturally flee which our cat didn't (she's not the brightest). Good luck

Last edited:
Quote:
We all know Huskys and Malamutes were sled dogs, right? Of course -- everyone knows that. Here's something most people don't think about, though....

So, it's 100 years ago.. You're a week into a trip, sledding cargo through the frozen tundra behind 16 dogs.. You stop for the night -- what to do with the dogs? Do you break out the bowls, walk over to the sled, and pour out a half a bag of kibble or some other pre-measured ration?

Of course not -- if you sledded enough dogfood for 16 huskys or malamutes, you wouldn't have room for anything else! Instead, in those days, you turned the dogs loose and they went hunting. In the summer, when the dogs were of no use, they were basically turned loose and expected to earn their living pretty much entirely on their own.

The ability to hunt was an absolute survival necessesity for previous generations of working sled dogs.. As such, today's sled dogs have retained an incredibly strong prey drive..

I agree with Kim 100% - "training training training"

We have 4 dogs

2 mixed mutts
Tennessese treeing brindle cur
and a so called "vicious, evil" Pit Bull

They get along just fine with our our birds but they have been trained to leave them alone.

Steve in NC

I've got four beagles. They have all been exposed to the chickens with a stern tongue lashing. When the dogs first sniffed the chickens to find out what they were, I scared the heck out of the dogs AND got the chickens to flap their wings for added measure. I have had no problems...knock on wood!

Hello!

New to BYC, but I have to agree with it is how you train the dogs, but it's also important to consider the breed because somethings are just inherent.

We have a golden/springer spaniel mix who is 11 and a border collie/lab mix who is 13. Both have 'raised' the chickens since they were a few days old, but I wouldn't leave either alone with them for more than a few minutes because you just never know what could/might happen.

Our bc/lab mix is obsessed with herding the chickens, so we have to watch him and correct him when he starts to herd them without being asked by us. Our golden/ss mix is ambigous towards the chickens. She will smell them, but then doesn't pay too much attention to them - only their food, which they will eat with her around.
tongue.png

The GREAT thing about having the dogs around the chickens is that they are very aware of predators (whether they consider them a predator is another story). We live in the country and have raccoons and coyotes and our dogs are awesome at picking up their scent or spotting them - then chasing them off.

Ok, enough rambling....I think whatever dog breed you get whether pure or mixed, just raise them around the chickens and discipline accordingly...that's all you can really do. They'll either "get it" or not.
big_smile.png

GOOD LUCK!
Jane

Last edited:
I have 3 dogs. Boxers and one Little river duck dog. My little river is a bird dog so he loves to chase the chickens. My older boxer couldn't care less if they are around, he doesn't give them a second thought. My younger boxer is only 1 1/2 years old and she LOVES to chase them. I think its more playfull then hunting instinct but she has caught a few and luckly i have gotten there before anything serious happened, The chickens play dead when she gets them wich i think saves them. The more they move and flap their wings the more she wants to play.

My boxer and my boxer x lab are both fine with the chickens-in fact, they pretty much ignore them. They're more interested in getting into the run so they can raid the feed. My older lab is so old and slow that the rooster tries to attack him.

You have to take it on a dog by dog basis. Some dogs are natural born alpha's and some are very prey driven, and I think that this is true of any breed.

i agree it depends on the dog and its training(raising) we raise pit bulls and they are all good. i would stay away from herding breeds unless they are going to be supervised

Back
Top Bottom