What is a humane way ....

Unfortunately, the quickest, least stressful and most painless methods for dispatching fish are also the least pleasant for the aquarist.

Most people like the idea of, "neat little packages" to dispose of, but that is actually the most inhumane way to kill a fish. The "out of sight, out of mind" mentality is just wrong on so many levels. On a larger, even global scale, that "out of sight, out of mind" mentality is what's wrong with the world today. Why not throw your sick chickens, cats, etc. into the freezer so that you absolve yourself of dealing with the problem in a humane way. "Put it in the freezer and throw it out with the trash after it's dead" is SICK!

People need to think of the animal--the living being--ahead of their delicate sensibilities.

Do it right, or don't keep fish, IMO!

Last edited:
Sure it's just a guppy, but the out-of-sight-out-of-mind mentality is indicitive of a larger problem. Where does it stop? Just last week on this forum someone let her cat die alone in the barn because she didn't want to deal with it.

To me leaving a dying cat alone in the barn to suffer is the same issue as throwing a deformed fish in the freezer. All creatures deserve to die humanely, even cats and guppies.

TY Reb.

The problem has been resolved. I decided that a quick squishing with a hammer was the fastest and easiest on the fish. Yep it's just a guppy, but then it's just a cat, or a dog, or a child....where does it end? I will show all of God's creatures the same respect and humane treatment that I would wish for myself or my children.

Do you know the reason for the deformity? I have a fish with a crooked spine and was told it had come in contact with a disease of some kind ( can't remember ) that caused it to be crooked, so maybe the babies won't be deformed.

Quote:
I do not think it is indicative of anything. It's a guppy. It's brain might be the size of a grain of sand. Maybe, if it's a MENSA guppy.

Sonia, it ends where society dictates. Society-ours at least-will not stand for cruelty to humans (legally) dogs, cats, pigs, chickens, horses, etc. This was a guppy. My husband might have used it as bait to catch and kill bigger fish that we could slap on our grille. It is commendable that you sought advice on humane methods of termination, but in the end, it's a fish. I would argue that allowing the animal to suffer with it's deformity was more cruel than doing away with it swiftly.

If putting a guppy to sleep took 16 days and who knows, how many countless opinions, I really fear for this country when we have to make some really difficult decisions.
tongue.png

All we really needed was a fraternity kegger at the local institute of higher learning with hungry coeds!
wink.png

Last edited:
Wow. Ok people it is done already. It only took 2 days for me to decide how to do it not 16. Why is it that some people seem to think that trying to avoid causing suffering in a lesser species is a bad thing? Never mind don't answer that.

Back
Top Bottom