What is a PT or NPIP tested flock?

PT is probably Pullorum/Typhoid. That is what is tested across the US for NPIP (national poultry improvement program).
It is a national program but administered by states. Each state rules are different. Your flock needs to be NPIP or the birds you sell have to be blood tested prior to selling across state lines. In MO, you are supposed to be NPIP in order to sell in state. Though, most people ignore that.
Some states also require the birds to be AI clean (avian influenza).
Many other things can be tested for through the NPIP program.. There is a fee for those other things.
The program is either free or at very low cost.

PT is probably Pullorum/Typhoid. That is what is tested across the US for NPIP (national poultry improvement program).
It is a national program but administered by states. Each state rules are different. Your flock needs to be NPIP or the birds you sell have to be blood tested prior to selling across state lines. In MO, you are supposed to be NPIP in order to sell in state. Though, most people ignore that.
Some states also require the birds to be AI clean (avian influenza).
Many other things can be tested for through the NPIP program.. There is a fee for those other things.
The program is either free or at very low cost.

How do you get tested?

So I have to get my birds tested even if I'm just selling them on Craigslist?
Sorry, new to the whole breeding thing

If you read the links I provided, you would have read that
"Poultry owners who want to show, sell or trade their birds in Texas must seek assistance from the Texas A&M Veterinary Medical Diagnostic Laboratory."
Poultry owners who want to show, sell or trade in Texas must have their flocks certified as free from pullorum disease and fowl typhoid under the Texas Pullorum-Typhoid Program.
The process is simple and explained therein.
If that's complicated, the last line says, "To learn more, contact TVMDL’s Poultry Programs Administrator J.C. Essler at 888-646-5623."
I read that to mean, you need an NPIP approved flock to sell anything - eggs, chicks or adults in the state of Texas. As is the case in most states.

If you live in Texas, then Craigslist would also be included.
How would Craigslist sales be excluded if you want to sell chickens in Texas legally? It doesn't say, in certain venues you can sell without it. It says, if you want to sell - period.
If you're selling chicks that are from your breeding stock - and your breeding stock were to have Pullorum or Typhoid, then your chicks would have PT.

This has been the case since the 1940s when this program was initiated because those diseases devastated the poultry industry across the US. They don't want to backslide and devastate a hundreds of billions of dollars industry for a few Craigslist sales.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom