What is a PT or NPIP tested flock?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by theatrain16, Apr 18, 2016.

1. theatrain16

theatrain16 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2016
    Texas
    What does this mean, and to breed and sell baby chicks, would I need to be a tested flock?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    PT is probably Pullorum/Typhoid. That is what is tested across the US for NPIP (national poultry improvement program).
    It is a national program but administered by states. Each state rules are different. Your flock needs to be NPIP or the birds you sell have to be blood tested prior to selling across state lines. In MO, you are supposed to be NPIP in order to sell in state. Though, most people ignore that.
    Some states also require the birds to be AI clean (avian influenza).
    Many other things can be tested for through the NPIP program.. There is a fee for those other things.
    The program is either free or at very low cost.

3. theatrain16

Apr 6, 2016
    Texas

How do you get tested?

4. theatrain16

Apr 6, 2016
    Texas
    Also, does anyone know if you have to be tested in Texas to sell baby chicks?

5. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
    2 people like this.
  6. theatrain16

Apr 6, 2016
    Texas
    they only test sexually mature birds, what if I'm selling chicks?

7. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Your breeding stock is who/what needs to be tested so that any hatching eggs and/or chicks can be sold as being from an NPIP flock.

8. theatrain16

Apr 6, 2016
    Texas
    So I have to get my birds tested even if I'm just selling them on Craigslist?
    Sorry, new to the whole breeding thing

9. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    If you read the links I provided, you would have read that
    "Poultry owners who want to show, sell or trade their birds in Texas must seek assistance from the Texas A&M Veterinary Medical Diagnostic Laboratory."
    Poultry owners who want to show, sell or trade in Texas must have their flocks certified as free from pullorum disease and fowl typhoid under the Texas Pullorum-Typhoid Program.
    The process is simple and explained therein.
    If that's complicated, the last line says, "To learn more, contact TVMDL’s Poultry Programs Administrator J.C. Essler at 888-646-5623."
    I read that to mean, you need an NPIP approved flock to sell anything - eggs, chicks or adults in the state of Texas. As is the case in most states.

If you live in Texas, then Craigslist would also be included.
    How would Craigslist sales be excluded if you want to sell chickens in Texas legally? It doesn't say, in certain venues you can sell without it. It says, if you want to sell - period.
    If you're selling chicks that are from your breeding stock - and your breeding stock were to have Pullorum or Typhoid, then your chicks would have PT.

This has been the case since the 1940s when this program was initiated because those diseases devastated the poultry industry across the US. They don't want to backslide and devastate a hundreds of billions of dollars industry for a few Craigslist sales.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  10. theatrain16

Apr 6, 2016
    Texas
    Ok. Thank y'all very much!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by