So if I do blue roo over sapphire gem hen it will produce blue, black or splash right?
You will ask someone expert.
You can also check the chicken genetics calculator.
Bear in mind that some of the sapphire gems have a barred rock as a mother while others have a rhodebar as a mother.

You can't know.

And I repeat, they are hybrid layers for keeping, they are not for breeding. If you want to breed,you need a marathon runner heritage breed, not a speeder hybrid.

I’m going to quickly hijack this post for a quick answer. I purchased a SG chick from feed store. I’ve had them before. I picked the darkest chick with blackish legs. She is now 4 wks old and feathering in all black. All the chicks looked basically the same and we’re labeled SG pullets. Is all black possible?

I’m going to quickly hijack this post for a quick answer. I purchased a SG chick from feed store. I’ve had them before. I picked the darkest chick with blackish legs. She is now 4 wks old and feathering in all black. All the chicks looked basically the same and we’re labeled SG pullets. Is all black possible?
Do you have a photo? I'm not versed in chicken genetics but I can say that I had an SG that was darker than the rest. So dark, she appeared black until she stood next to a black hen that I had. She might just be a very dark blue. If you can see any difference in the depth of color at the edge of each feather from the rest of the feather, I'd suspect a really dark blue. But with feed store bins, chicks often end up in the wrong bin. Photos would be really helpful!

Do you have a photo? I'm not versed in chicken genetics but I can say that I had an SG that was darker than the rest. So dark, she appeared black until she stood next to a black hen that I had. She might just be a very dark blue. If you can see any difference in the depth of color at the edge of each feather from the rest of the feather, I'd suspect a really dark blue. But with feed store bins, chicks often end up in the wrong bin. Photos would be really helpful!
Thanks for the reply. Shadow is now 7wks old and I think is a really dark blue like you suggested. Almost black but I can see some darker edges to her feathers.

Very helpful thread! I just got what I thought was a blue orp but she had yellow skin which means sapphire gem correct? I have no clue how old she is but she’s 5-7 months

Attachments

• 05A29A25-5309-445A-876B-81A45E1234D8.jpeg
    05A29A25-5309-445A-876B-81A45E1234D8.jpeg
    447.6 KB · Views: 11
  • AB2135F4-C2CB-4870-A9B6-4333906DFEA5.jpeg
    AB2135F4-C2CB-4870-A9B6-4333906DFEA5.jpeg
    339.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 05F7F3E3-1A02-44D2-B6E5-C7BBC7468301.jpeg
    05F7F3E3-1A02-44D2-B6E5-C7BBC7468301.jpeg
    709.5 KB · Views: 10
Well, we're back up to 7 eggs a day. Had to turn lights on due to schedules...can't get out to feed them in the evening while it's still light. One SG is laying huge eggs...weighed one and it was 88 grams (3.10oz) and yes, scale was tared. Seems all her eghs are around 80 g. Guess lighting was the issue. Don't love that they're laying more due to lights but at least they're not laying every day. Seems like every other day so I guess that gives them a little break. Trying to rework schedule to get out there sooner . Still, wondering what the average SG egg weighs. My others seem to be around 70 g to 79 g based on one day of weighing. ..presuming that larger eggs were SGs' and smaller eggs from our EE and other fluff-mutts...some of which are smaller birds/crossesView attachment 1604330 View attachment 1604331
My SG lays the largest eggs I’ve ever seen, routinely 94g. They don’t even fit in cartons. Her name is Gemma too.

I have some SGs and Salmon Faverolles. In this picture are three SGs around a small feeder with 2 Fav pullets (one of those might be a cockerel?). Do you see barring on the leftmost of the three SGs?

I bought them from TSC. The sign for the SGs said "pullets" not "straight run". Do you see barring on these feathers?

We have quite a few suspected cockerels in our batch of 12 chicks (7 SGs, 5 Favs). I believe we may have as many as 4 cockerels of the 5 Favs. Mom and I are thinking we have at least 3 cockerels in the 7 SG "pullets". From this photo what do you think?

I'm having a difficult time believing these are all pullets with all the bickering and posturing happening. But I'm knew to owning chickens, perhaps this is normal?

Attachments

• do you see barring.jpg
    do you see barring.jpg
    538.7 KB · Views: 8
  • do you see barring2.jpg
    do you see barring2.jpg
    646.9 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom