WHAT IS A VETERAN

May God bless all who have served and all who are serving now. Freedom and Democracy are America's greatest export, thanks to our brave men and women.

Thank you.

Quote:
Maybe, maybe not. I was in the Navy and my father was in the USMC for 27 years. I feel certain I can speak for him and myself that this is exactly how the vast majority of military personnel see their service - career or otherwise.

Most career military didnt start out that way. They went in the same as anyone else, usually for the same reasons. Service to country being one of them - they all endorse that same check, made payable to Uncle Sam and the citizens of this nation, should it come to that.

Suprisingly, I dont see this as a matter of semantics. Neither, it seems, do others. Service veteran is veteran, by any accounting.

But still - you presented this as the only valid position. Not fair. It comes off as as "If you're not with us - you're against us" And not patriotic unless you have this position.

I'm just sayin'...

~Phyllis

I know this is at risk of starting a heated "discussion" but I am going to take the chance that it stays civil.

Phyllis, I think it is that simple. I spent over 20 years on active duty in the US Army. I also have time with the Air National Guard, Air Force Reserve, and Army Reserve. I have always understood that a veteran is one who served with the US military. Benefits may be different based on length of service, type of service, and discharge.

For all you vets and family members that haven't done so yet, hop on over to this thread and say hello:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=62509

No where did I see this: ". . . you presented this as the only valid position. . . . It comes off as as "If you're not with us - you're against us" And not patriotic unless you have this position." Did I miss it?

Great post Davaroo!
thumbsup.gif

USAF MSgt Ret

woot.gif
Davaroo, thank You so much for posting this on here. I want to personally Thank each and every person who ever served in our Military. Thank You for our Freedom and everything else to keep Us Free. God Bless All of You. God Bless America and America Bless God. Thanks again.
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
But still - you presented this as the only valid position. Not fair. It comes off as as "If you're not with us - you're against us" And not patriotic unless you have this position.

I'm just sayin'...

~Phyllis

I know this is at risk of starting a heated "discussion" but I am going to take the chance that it stays civil.

Phyllis, I think it is that simple. I spent over 20 years on active duty in the US Army. I also have time with the Air National Guard, Air Force Reserve, and Army Reserve. I have always understood that a veteran is one who served with the US military. Benefits may be different based on length of service, type of service, and discharge.

For all you vets and family members that haven't done so yet, hop on over to this thread and say hello:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=62509

No where did I see this: ". . . you presented this as the only valid position. . . . It comes off as as "If you're not with us - you're against us" And not patriotic unless you have this position." Did I miss it?

Some things you have to accept and not wrangle over... This is one of those moments.

Okay - you win. I'll stay out of these discussions because clearly they are intended only to draw a line in the sand and provoke people.

Like I said - it's clear that if one is not with it, one is against it and is therfore not welcome.

caf.gif

~Phyllis

Quote:
I didn't get the impression that anyone was trying to provoke you at all, they just don't understand the mysterious definition of "veteran" you're cryptically hinting at. I spent 20 years in the Marines, and can't figure out what you're trying to say, either.

Quote:
Awww c'mon, Phyllis. Play nice. If you have something to say, say it plainly and civily, please. We don't want to start anything or get this locked.
But face it, you're bucking the tide on this one. You'll have to make a good case to win us over.

Last edited:
I am Navy born bred and married. I will fight every side of every argument about vets, but at the end of the day a vet is a vet and they deserve our thanks and our gratitude.

For one rare moment I do not understand the argument or the belief that one was even provoked.

To all of you who serve - from one of us who makes great demands of her government and appreciates every day my right to do so: THANK YOU!

Back
Top Bottom