What is an aggressive breed?

Silkiehen

Chirping
5 Years
Feb 15, 2014
I need an aggressive chicken. One that is nice to people and to other chickens, but will stand his own to dogs and cats. Our dog thinks it is ok to chase them and scare them. My sisters dog already got ahold of one chicken and tasted blood. I want the dogs to learn. They will be free ranging soon. My sister will becoming over a lot to stay because her husband is going into the army, she brings her dogs and they do what they want when around animals. I will be working with them a lot but just in case. There will also be a newborn soon, so need one that is good around kids, I also have a 1yr old nephew who loves them. IDK if this little one will be aggressive towards dogs.

Any suggestions?

You need to teach the dogs to respect the chickens. I have taught my daschunds to leave the chickens alone and of course I supervise when the dogs are outside around my chickens.

No different if the chickens where small children.

You need to teach the dogs to respect the chickens. I have taught my daschunds to leave the chickens alone and of course I supervise when the dogs are outside around my chickens.

No different if the chickens where small children.
The dog in the picture is good around them. I taught him from day one who is in charge, he is still learning that the chickens won't hurt him or the family! It's my sisters dogs I am worried about because they don't have any respect for anything. I am the one in charge of teaching them everything... It would help though if I had a chicken or rooster to enforce that a little.

In my little bit of experience, barred rocks are pretty good at letting dogs know who's better. I have two ladies that protects my flock from other and our dogs. They're nice to other chickens and people if you handle them well when they're itty-bitty too. :) (a good peck in the nose will make them stop being aggressive fast xD )

The meanest chicken in the world doesn't stand a chance against the average dog. You need to get your dog under control. Problem is, a chicken that's aggressive to dogs & cats will usually be agressive to you & I also.
But to answer your ?? Game hens are the most agressive chickens I ever had, especially when they're broody, then they attack ANYTHING that moves within 10 feet.

Back
Top Bottom