What is autosomal and Dwarf leghorns - Nvr heard of these before

cwc362

Crowing
14 Years
Sep 26, 2008
Huntingdon- West Tn
I was reading something where somebody was breeding several varieties of chickens that I had never of. He had two varieties of "dwarf" leghorns and something about some "autosomal" variety. I couldn't find it to get the exact terms again . Was just wondering if anybody had heard of these or was familiar with that particular breeder. Thought I would give it a shot and see if anybody on here had heard of this- If I can find his site again will post more details.

Thanks

Wayne

Where I first saw it was a guy who sold these and some more offbeat varieties . I googled and got a bunch of really technical reports that went way over my head. LOL Just from what I read the dwarf and the bantams are different. I have a hard time reading all the really scientific stuff . So I was hoping some of you guys could break it down in simpler terms. Wish I could find that site where the guy was selling again, but can't remember where I saw it. Thanks for all the responses so far.

Wayne

btw Flying Monkey Poop- What happened to the hat? LOL

An autosome is every chromosome that every individual has two copies of per body cell.
The opposite is a sex chromosome. One sex has 2 copies , the other has 1 copy (plus a small mini-chromosome to accompany it). So one gender has an even pair and the other an odd pair of sex chromosomes.

Bantam genes are known to be sexlinked (located on the sex chromosome) but autosomal bantam genes probably exist also.

But why would someone who sells chickens bother you with that?
smile.png

Last edited:
He had some autosomal leghorns or something. I think one of the varieties he had said something about Cornell University. He just had them listed and they stuck in my mind as I had never seen breeds listed like that before. He had two different varieties of "dwarf" leghorns and 2 or three other kinds . Wish I could find that site again. he was listed as a breeder on one of those obscure chicken boards or something - just can't remember . Plus thanks for the info!!

Wayne

Okay did some more searching and found it- Here's the copy and paste
Search Results by FLATTEXT
Hatchery or Supply Source What they carry
Rockin' Rooster Ranch
Rt. 1 Box 214-M
Douglas, AZ 85607-9747
520-364-6654
Fax: 520-364-6654
[email protected]
Green-Eggers™, Dryden California Gray, 55-Flowery Leghorn (autosexing), Cornell autosomal dwarf White Leghorn, Sex-linked dwarf White Leghorn, KaiYa (Riverchickenz™) egg laying ducks from China (Taiwan).

and here's the link to that page
http://www.poultryconnection.com/hatchery.html

Last edited:
If you go down let me know- LOL And what is a Flowery leghorn(auto-sexing) ? This just stuck in my mind because I had never heard of these kinds of chickens.

Last edited:
Quote:
I decided to update my picture, I can get one of me with my hat on.

you look good without the hat too! LOL Just noticed it , I've read so many of your posts and you always had the Black hat on! I can't wear hats much- My ole head is too big!!
gig.gif

Wayne

Back
Top Bottom