What is Corid used for?

BoCRon

Songster
10 Years
Jan 27, 2012
Cherry Log, GA
I brought home a bottle of Corid today as it has been out of stock for quite some time. I figured since it was there I should get it and not wait until I need it and not be able to get it.
In a weird coincidence one of my hens was acting weird when I got home. Based on her symptoms it might be gape worm. Whe is tossing her head around mostly. Today is the first time I’ve noticed this. If Corid isn’t an option what should, I get?

I brought home a bottle of Corid today as it has been out of stock for quite some time. I figured since it was there I should get it and not wait until I need it and not be able to get it.
In a weird coincidence one of my hens was acting weird when I got home. Based on her symptoms it might be gape worm. Whe is tossing her head around mostly. Today is the first time I’ve noticed this. If Corid isn’t an option what should, I get?
Corid won’t help gapeworm. It’s a thiamin uptake blocker that treats coccidiosis. It works great if you catch and treat early. You’ll know if your chicks have coccidia if they’re all puffy and lethargic.
Not sure whether you can buy a gapeworm treatment OTC. Sorry I can’t help there.

Corid is a brand of amprollium, a drug that can treat coccidiosis, an intestinal disease from coccidia in the dirt. Gapeworm is fairly rare, causes gaping and respiratory distress, gasping for air, and most chickens with it would not be able to eat or drink. Head shaking might be due to parasites or respiratory infection. Can you look for any watery eye, bubbles in an eye, swelling around an eye, sneeze or crackles when she breathes? It would be good to look for tiny mites or lice on her skin as well, since those might irritate her.

Other worms might be more of a problem in GA. SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer will treat gapeworms and other worms if you give 1/4 ml per pound for 5 straight days, and you can buy it at most feed stores.

Thanks, all the other girls seem fine. I’m going to go watch her now to see if I can get a better description of symptoms.

Gapeworm are actually rare in chickens. Has your hen been eating and drinking?
Chickens yawn when they adjust their crop, or may yawn due to respiratory problem. You can always get a fresh fecal sample from your hen and take it to a vet. They'll let know for sure if it's gapeworm or not.

No, Corid will not help that.
Corid is for coccidiosis only.

It looks for a second in the video that it could be neurological in origin. Can you look in her right eye and ear to see if there is anything in them? You can insert a Qtip into the ear to look for mites or gunk. An ear infection or mites could cause head shaking and scratching. If you see anything in the ear, you can put some hydrogen peroxide into the ear. Clean it out with a QTip, then fill the ear canal with plain Neosporin. Mineral oil can also be used to kill mites.

Back
Top Bottom