What is everyone fixing for Christmas

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by chickabator, Dec 14, 2009.

1. chickabator

chickabator Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    ky
    trying to get some ideals on a cheap christmas dinner anyone have any suggestions. I bought a turkey breast at food city after thanksgiving and dh's work gives him a turkey for christmas . any other ideas. I also have a ham that I got on sale at food city for .99 a pound. I have basic potatoes and green beans but I am gonna fix shuck beans for dh for christmas.(all shuck beans are is dried white half runner beans) He loves them and so does dd#2, I plan on fixing candy the first of next week, buckeyes, fudge and homemade mounds bars. then bake some more cookies and thinking about making some homemade cinnamon rolls for christmas morning. its just the other parts of the mean I am thinking about sides and desserts.

2. TammyTX

TammyTX Overrun With Chickens

Feb 16, 2009
    Texas
    We're having:

Brisket
    German Sausage
    Baked Blue Potatoes
    Sweet Pickled Beets (sugar free)
    Fresh Corn (cut off cob)
    Spinach Layer Salad

Pumpkin Roll (for dessert)
    Strudel (not sure what kind)

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  3. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    I make seafood Christmas Eve and eat ham at my SILs on the 25th.

You mentioned buckeyes...mmmmm... Mind posting the recipe? [​IMG]

4. chickabator

chickabator Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    ky
    Ill have to go dig up my recipe in the kitchen and then I'll post it. I know that I melt chocolate bark in a double boiler but I will have to go find it it wont take me long

Ingredients
    1 1/2 cups peanut butter
    1/2 cup margarine or butter
    1 lb powdered sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1 1/2 cups chocolate chips
    Crisco
    Directions
    Mix peanut butter, margarine or butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla in bowl (It helps to soften the margarine).
    Shape into 1" balls.
    Refrigerate balls.
    Meanwhile, melt chocolate with a bit of crisco (so the chocolate will harden. Without crisco, chocolate will remain soft.) in double boiler.
    5nsert toothpick into refrigerated balls and dip into chocolate, leaving small area resembling a buckeye.
    Cool on wax paper and store in refrigerator or freezer.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  5. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    normally we have prime rib but it is soooo expensive in this ecomony.. beside daughter is vegetarian so we are going to her house and we all agreed on............ nachos lol.. you can make your own how ever you like it and it is enexpensive too.. i will bring the guacamole and meat . and making the salsa.. she can make the other things and everyone can bring something to pass. simple and easy.. no china needed lol

6. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    A lean year for us, too, but the local Piggly Wiggly is giving a Smithfield ham in exchange for 4 books of Greenbax stamps! Finally, a use for all those stamps.

So:

baked ham
    baked sweet potatoes
    greens of some sort(collards?)
    cornbread (with bacon)
    pecan pie (homemade)

I'll have some cookies etc. floating around, but since it's just the two of us the cookies will probably go to the fire dept. up the highway.

7. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    have you ever made ambrosia? i take large can of well drained fruit coctail... mix with 2 cups ( 1 pt.) of sour cream and 1/2 bag mini marshmallows. let sit in fridge over night.. then the next day before serving i add banana and apples and any fruit you like.. coconut, nuts, oranges, etc.... it is refreshing and sweet ..

8. Countrywife

Countrywife Corrupted by a Redneck

Aug 20, 2009
    Carolina
    menu sounds good to me, i printed the buckeyes- my girl is gonna love that.

9. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Paula Deens's Baked French Toast Casserole
    Broccoli, Mushroom, and Cheese Breakfast Strata

Lots of chips, dips and other snacks

Lemon Bars
    Yellow cake with Grandma frosting
    Barefoot Contessa's Brownie Pudding

Last but definitely not least....
    Seafood Gumbo

10. CedarRidgeChicks

CedarRidgeChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Adair Co.Ky
    Ranchhand..love the Smithfield Hams!! Also like the Winn Dixie low salt ones!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by