What is everyone fixing for Christmas

chickabator

Songster
12 Years
Nov 30, 2007
ky
trying to get some ideals on a cheap christmas dinner anyone have any suggestions. I bought a turkey breast at food city after thanksgiving and dh's work gives him a turkey for christmas . any other ideas. I also have a ham that I got on sale at food city for .99 a pound. I have basic potatoes and green beans but I am gonna fix shuck beans for dh for christmas.(all shuck beans are is dried white half runner beans) He loves them and so does dd#2, I plan on fixing candy the first of next week, buckeyes, fudge and homemade mounds bars. then bake some more cookies and thinking about making some homemade cinnamon rolls for christmas morning. its just the other parts of the mean I am thinking about sides and desserts.

We're having:

Brisket
German Sausage
Baked Blue Potatoes
Sweet Pickled Beets (sugar free)
Fresh Corn (cut off cob)
Spinach Layer Salad

Pumpkin Roll (for dessert)
Strudel (not sure what kind)

Last edited:
I make seafood Christmas Eve and eat ham at my SILs on the 25th.

You mentioned buckeyes...mmmmm... Mind posting the recipe?
big_smile.png

Ill have to go dig up my recipe in the kitchen and then I'll post it. I know that I melt chocolate bark in a double boiler but I will have to go find it it wont take me long

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups peanut butter
1/2 cup margarine or butter
1 lb powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips
Crisco
Directions
Mix peanut butter, margarine or butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla in bowl (It helps to soften the margarine).
Shape into 1" balls.
Refrigerate balls.
Meanwhile, melt chocolate with a bit of crisco (so the chocolate will harden. Without crisco, chocolate will remain soft.) in double boiler.
5nsert toothpick into refrigerated balls and dip into chocolate, leaving small area resembling a buckeye.
Cool on wax paper and store in refrigerator or freezer.

Last edited:
normally we have prime rib but it is soooo expensive in this ecomony.. beside daughter is vegetarian so we are going to her house and we all agreed on............ nachos lol.. you can make your own how ever you like it and it is enexpensive too.. i will bring the guacamole and meat . and making the salsa.. she can make the other things and everyone can bring something to pass. simple and easy.. no china needed lol

A lean year for us, too, but the local Piggly Wiggly is giving a Smithfield ham in exchange for 4 books of Greenbax stamps! Finally, a use for all those stamps.

So:

baked ham
baked sweet potatoes
greens of some sort(collards?)
cornbread (with bacon)
pecan pie (homemade)

I'll have some cookies etc. floating around, but since it's just the two of us the cookies will probably go to the fire dept. up the highway.

have you ever made ambrosia? i take large can of well drained fruit coctail... mix with 2 cups ( 1 pt.) of sour cream and 1/2 bag mini marshmallows. let sit in fridge over night.. then the next day before serving i add banana and apples and any fruit you like.. coconut, nuts, oranges, etc.... it is refreshing and sweet ..

Paula Deens's Baked French Toast Casserole
Broccoli, Mushroom, and Cheese Breakfast Strata

Lots of chips, dips and other snacks

Lemon Bars
Yellow cake with Grandma frosting
Barefoot Contessa's Brownie Pudding

Last but definitely not least....
Seafood Gumbo

Back
Top Bottom