What is going on here? (Pic included)

bbowen

Songster
10 Years
Dec 31, 2009
Moira, NY
So my girls were hatched in January '10 and most started laying in the middle of May '10. I get anywhere from 2 to 5 eggs a day from seven of them. The other night I go into the room the chickens are in and I hear this dripping sound. I turn on the flashlight and one hen is leaking from her vent. As I investigate it turns out its egg white, I looked down and the yolk was on the floor. I cleaned her up as best I could and when I did a egg membrane came out. This was a few days ago and she seems fine.

I have found several "shelless" eggs in the past. But then I found these:

46347_img_0893.jpg

The long one is roughly 4 inches long and filled with fluid. The other is a recognizable as a shelless egg but the weird white protrusion has me curious.

Is this typical for new layers? I am feeding them oyster shell.

I had something like that come out of a hen last year. I thought it was a tapeworm hanging out of her, but after she finally got it out I could see it wasn't. It took her all day to pass this thing, but she is fine and dandy to this day. She is older and doesn't lay very many eggs these days, wonder if that has something to do with it?

Quote:
Yes, I do. I didn't start it until after the others started laying. But they've got it now. I have no idea if these are from the same chicken.

I have 7 hens and I got 5 good eggs max a day, until today when I got six. So, I'm thinking this is just begginer issues.

Back
Top Bottom