What is going on? One leg is not working right! (video included)

Update- so she is still not walking right. One wing is sometimes hanging down and that one leg just kicks out from under her. She has not eaten in over a week that I can see but she has drank water. She drank a lot of water this morning when I held the waterer up to her. She will drink water and I can hear her stomach when it goes down. She will also open her beak wide after she drinks. As far as anitbiotics go- I just have a small flock of 7 chickens and have no idea where to even get something like that. ? I have tried lots of favorite treats and she has yet to eat any of it. Is there something I can put in the water to get some nutrition into her? Oh, but her vent looks better- sprayed with iodine again today- cut some yellowish/white thick dried poop from her feathers and tried to clean her up with baby wipes as suggested. Hoping that problem is done!

Last edited:
farm supply is where you get them or order them from valley vet supply. But it pretty much sounds like you need to euthanize her if you are not going to give her antibiotics to get well. I just feel it is cruel leave her not walking, wing drooping , and not help her.Usually I don't say much but i just felt bad for poor chicken.

Look, I take severe offense to your comment that I am being cruel to my chicken! I feel horrible for her, I have her in my house in a container that we use as a brooder and have food and water for her where she does not have to move much to get to her water but plenty of room if she wants to move around. I am out there ever hour that I am not at work trying to get her better. THe only help I have is this website and whatever advice anyone can give me. I never said I would not give her antibiotics! I just said I did not know where to get them- I would assume one would need a prescription to obtain something like that. We hold her and talk to her and we love all of our chickens. My husband wanted to take care of the situation when she got the vent gleet but I said no- let me see what I can do. So I thank you for your information on where to get the antibiotics from. My remaining question is still could the leg be an infection? She is also shaking her head a lot when she drinks- I certainly do not want her to suffer- and if I am causing her to do so then it is completely unintentionally. And I think in the future you should keep your opinions to yourself and just offer your advise and wisdom instead, I am very hurt by your accusation.

Mommy3, I have many ideas on what you can do to save her, but I need to know if that's what you want to do. If she isn't eating, she will die, eventually.

Thank you so much. I just don't want her to starve. I have checked her legs and nothing is swollen or warm and there are no black scabs that look like the pictures of bumble foot. I can not do a lot $$ wise. would a video of her help? There is still a little yellow stuff coming out of the vent but with no food in her there is nothing to come out! At this point she is just starving and having a little water every day. She shakes her head and her mouth will open after she drinks - it almost seems like it is neurological- that is how the whole thing looks to me- but that is from someone who knows very little about chickens. The whole leg thing started the day after we used a dropper to put epsom salt water into her to help get rid of the gleet. So my concern is that we did something in that process to hurt her. I had her wrapped in a towel and she did not struggle in that way, she just did not like having her beak opened to drop the water in. We were as gentle as we could be and put a little at a time. She ran around like normal for a few days and got in and out of the coop and up on roost bars for 4-5 days even with the hobble and then started to not be able to walk with out that leg shooting out from under her, she would still try to get around though. I am wondering if euthenizing her is for the best? What are your ideas? Do you think she is just too weak after no food for so long?

Thank you so much. I just don't want her to starve. I have checked her legs and nothing is swollen or warm and there are no black scabs that look like the pictures of bumble foot. I can not do a lot $$ wise. would a video of her help? There is still a little yellow stuff coming out of the vent but with no food in her there is nothing to come out! At this point she is just starving and having a little water every day. She shakes her head and her mouth will open after she drinks - it almost seems like it is neurological- that is how the whole thing looks to me- but that is from someone who knows very little about chickens. The whole leg thing started the day after we used a dropper to put epsom salt water into her to help get rid of the gleet. So my concern is that we did something in that process to hurt her. I had her wrapped in a towel and she did not struggle in that way, she just did not like having her beak opened to drop the water in. We were as gentle as we could be and put a little at a time. She ran around like normal for a few days and got in and out of the coop and up on roost bars for 4-5 days even with the hobble and then started to not be able to walk with out that leg shooting out from under her, she would still try to get around though. I am wondering if euthenizing her is for the best? What are your ideas? Do you think she is just too weak after no food for so long?
I think that you need to tube feed her, but to do that, you'll need to buy a few things from a vet or medical supply store. Then you'll need to follow my instructions very closely.

These are the items you'll need from a vet or medical supply:

• 35cc catheter tip syringe.
  • 18 french rubber catheter.

This you can get from and grocery store:
  • Pedialyte

This you can get from Petsmart or Petco:
  • Kaytee Baby Bird Food

Look, I take severe offense to your comment that I am being cruel to my chicken! I feel horrible for her, I have her in my house in a container that we use as a brooder and have food and water for her where she does not have to move much to get to her water but plenty of room if she wants to move around. I am out there ever hour that I am not at work trying to get her better. THe only help I have is this website and whatever advice anyone can give me. I never said I would not give her antibiotics! I just said I did not know where to get them- I would assume one would need a prescription to obtain something like that. We hold her and talk to her and we love all of our chickens. My husband wanted to take care of the situation when she got the vent gleet but I said no- let me see what I can do. So I thank you for your information on where to get the antibiotics from. My remaining question is still could the leg be an infection? She is also shaking her head a lot when she drinks- I certainly do not want her to suffer- and if I am causing her to do so then it is completely unintentionally. And I think in the future you should keep your opinions to yourself and just offer your advise and wisdom instead, I am very hurt by your accusation.
Sorry I wasn't trying to be offensive. I had no idea you didn't know how to get antibiotics. Alot of them are not prescription. Some people say one and some another but for chickens I keep bottle of penicillin injectable, bottle of tylan 50 and some oxytetracycline powder and you can treat most ailments. The antibiotic that will do you chicken most good is tylan 50. I give it orally to young chicken depending on size of 1/2 cc for med chicken and 1/4 for smaller one and i take that same injectable and mix 3cc to 1 gallon of drinking water. Tylan is bad about being hard on tissue so I always mix when I inject it and I use penicillin. I would mix like 1 cc of penicillin and 1/2cc of tylan and inject on breast of chicken under skin and it works real well. The drooping wing and arthritis type symptoms in legs is often an infection of some type. I am sure can happen but I have never seen chicken with those symptoms and it not be infection. If what your chicken has is infection you can give it to other chickens from her. I would make sure the sick chicken is separated and wash my hands well after I handled it. I would hate for you to spread it to your other chickens.
Sometimes when a chicken is real sick and I just can't get it well I will euthanize it. It can be so heartbreaking when nothing is working. It is easier on the chicken and other chickens to euthanize the sick one to not spread it to your other chickens then you have to watch them be sick too. You have to decide spend more money on different medications or put her down which is more humane and will they get well if I work and work to help them.
I find http://www.valleyvet.com/?ccd=IGO027&gclid=CMvvi46o6bMCFSWoPAodCmAAYQ
http://www.kvsupply.com/KVVet/assets/html/homepage.asp?refcode=MSAds

The tube she was referring to in both sites is lamb saver and to tube feed when they are not eating helps them get well. If they don't eat or drink dehydration will kill them.

I have one young chicken exibiting the same symptoms you describe and tonight when I got home from work I tube fed it some ensure 10cc and the I gave it 1/2cc of penicillin and 1/4cc of tylan 50 mixed together (makes tylan less hard on tissue) in shot under skin and wrapped her tight in handtowel to hold leg in and keep her warm. That was all I did for her and won't doctor her till tomorrow but she was better than day before. It takes a number of days to get well and sometimes they don't get well when they get it in the legs so bad. I am just giving her all I know about to get her well and keep her hydrated will I make that attempt.

Good luck, sorry to sound cross, I thought you just didn't want to give them to her. I had no idea you didn't know.

Also if you do not have a tube to feed them I will boil an egg. Peel egg shell off and cut it up in pieces. I open the chickens beak give them bite towards back of mouth so they can't spit it out and get them to swallow it. I will do this until they are full. I also will do that with scrambled eggs too. hotdogs work well too.

Back
Top Bottom