WHAT is going on??

Arya28

Songster
Apr 9, 2017
Pennsylvania
This is another courtesy post for a relative. Her problems here started with frostbite, but there seems there has to be something else going on. Our roosters have frostbite but they do NOT look like this. As in, the flaky face and flaky skin, and pale waddles. Aside from the obvious frostbite, what else could this be? Some roosters in different pens, who have no contact with each other have this going on. She said it came on really quick too. The one who has this really bad doesn't seem to have interest in eating or drinking, and his legs just started turning grey today. They don't know if he will make it through the night, or what to do for all of them who have this going on. Anyone have any ideas? So far, her one buff orpington and some australorps have this going on. She is in southwestern PA, so it is cold. But again, this seems to be more than just frostbite.
rooster1.jpg
rooster2.jpg

Also, she (just like us) goes out every night, just like we do (when it is below 32 degrees) and oils all her roosters combs and waddles. Their chickens get a lot of attention, as in, several hours a day of attention.

It's a very serious case of frostbite, and that guy is undoubtedly in a great deal of pain.

I recommend not touching those areas, but instead, spraying them once or twice a day with Vetericyn spray.

Expect him to lose a lot of that damaged tissue. I hope they're keeping him in so he won't be exposed to any freezing temps. Further frostbite will surely do him in.

She says it's hard to tell in the picture, but some of the tissue on his comb is definitely green looking. Does frostbite do that?

Severe frostbite can be multi-colored. The severely damaged tissue will turn necrotic, and sometimes it can get infected. That's why a wound treatment like Vetericyn is helpful without hurting the damaged tissue further by rubbing something on it.

I got to see a case just like this last winter when my rooster's comb froze. It was a frightful sight, just like this guy. My rooster lost about three-quarters of an inch off his comb points. The lower part was so blistered and oozing with pus, I was on edge until it healed.

Tell the owners they can give the rooster a baby aspirin in the morning and at night, and it really helps reduce the pain.

Back
Top Bottom