What is going on?!

ALong12

Songster
Mar 6, 2019
Every week or every other week I’ve got more chicks developing coccidiosis:he it’s not because they’ve been exposed to it because these are individual chicks in completely seperate pens
I have never!!! had to use corid until this year & I’m at my wits end
What could be causing this crap?!?!:barnie

Every week or every other week I’ve got more chicks developing coccidiosis:he it’s not because they’ve been exposed to it because these are individual chicks in completely seperate pens
I have never!!! had to use corid until this year & I’m at my wits end
What could be causing this crap?!?!:barnie

Did you have an unusually mild/wet winter? Have you had a lot of rain recently? Apparently infestation can spring up in the yard if these environmental factors occur.

Are they on medicated starter? If not, I'd do that for your remaining healthy chicks!

That is so frustrating! :hugs

Did you have an unusually mild/wet winter? Have you had a lot of rain recently? Apparently infestation can spring up in the yard if these environmental factors occur.

Are they on medicated starter? If not, I'd do that for your remaining healthy chicks!

That is so frustrating! :hugs

yes mild/wet winter & yes always buy medicated chick starter

very frustrating so im to the point dull i just start culling or keep buying $20 bottles of medicine :(

I'm so sorry you are having so much trouble. I agree, having a bit more info on your set up will help in getting you some suggestions. Coccidia are everywhere, your environmental conditions may have set up for a 'bloom' in which case the numbers increase drastically. They are also very easily transported from place to place, pen to pen, brooder to brooder, on clothing and shoes. It's why commercial operations have such strict rules for those entering multiple buildings and pens, they utilize disposable shoe covers, multiple coveralls, and pans to step in to try to minimize transfer. Medicated feed contains a very low 'preventative' dose, but it won't treat an actual outbreak. I would treat all of your young birds at the same time since you are having so much trouble. Once they have recovered you should see a decrease as they build resistance. But any new chicks brought in or hatched will be at risk again. The coccidia can persist in the environment for a very long time. Make sure your pens are dry and as clean as possible, and feeders and waterers are kept clean and free of droppings. If they are ground level, raise them up on bricks or similar so they are less easily pooped in. Dirty feeders and waterers and wet/damp conditions are prime for spreading the infection.
This is a very good thread, with video, on coccidiosis. It's geared toward commercial operations, but the info still applies.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/coccidiosis-video-worth-watching.1262022/#post-20259051

Back
Top Bottom