What is happening?!?!

How do I do that if 10 others have pipped?
You can open it, remove the egg, and wet the membrane. Having it open for a minute won't hurt anything. I like to mist the eggs with warm water when I'm done.

Also, I can sort of candle with my light through the case of the incubator- I haven’t been taking them out to candle. Days are down to “2”
That's good you can do that. My flashlight isn't that great so I usually have to pull them out to check.

OK. I opened it pull the egg out and the duck is still alive. I have enough other ones pipped that I hope that I didn’t cause for shrink wrapping and kill all my babies
That's good to know. Just keep an eye on them now and wait.
It won't cause any problems. I open my incubator a lot at lockdown, unless it's open for more than an hour straight it will not shrinkwrap your eggs.

OK. I opened it pull the egg out and the duck is still alive. I have enough other ones pipped that I hope that I didn’t cause for shrink wrapping and kill all my babies
I'm sure they'll be fine. Just make sure the humidity is up. If the membranes start looking dry, brush a small amount of coconut oil onto the membrane. There is usually a small slice in the membrane that is hard to see, after an external pip. This is sufficient for the duckling to get air, so you are safe to wait!
Here is the Assisted hatching article
Always great to have a read of it! Just keep in mind that ducklings can take longer than other chicks- mine took days. So if you ever have to intervene, go very slowly and cautiously.

I'm sure they'll be fine. Just make sure the humidity is up. If the membranes start looking dry, brush a small amount of coconut oil onto the membrane. There is usually a small slice in the membrane that is hard to see, after an external pip. This is sufficient for the duckling to get air, so you are safe to wait!
Here is the Assisted hatching article
Always great to have a read of it! Just keep in mind that ducklings can take longer than other chicks- mine took days. So if you ever have to intervene, go very slowly and cautiously.
I’m very nervous that I opened the incubator! I have never done that before. I have attached multiple times with ducks and chickens but it just seems like this hatch is different than any other. I was kind of wondering if my incubator was going bad or something

I’m very nervous that I opened the incubator! I have never done that before. I have attached multiple times with ducks and chickens but it just seems like this hatch is different than any other. I was kind of wondering if my incubator was going bad or something
Sometimes it's more important to make sure the baby is still alive. Opening it for a few minutes will not have caused any issues. The mother hen would still get up during the hatch, they don't have "lockdown". And hens have the best hatch rates you could ever get.
Sure, some hens will not get up once they start pipping. But some will. It just doesn't really matter. And even if they do shrinkwrap, they can still hatch just fine most of the time.

Back
Top Bottom