what is he?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by lovinlife, Jun 17, 2011.

1. lovinlife

lovinlife Chillin' With My Peeps

front and center... what is he?
    [​IMG]

This is him at a couple days old:
    [​IMG]
    Nice attitude, right? [​IMG]

He was in the straight run bantam bin at the feed store and was the only one with a top hat. He was noticeably larger than the bantams and is bigger now than the two bantams I bought with him.

The order came from Ideal, so he's probably not a mutt. Polish?

2. Shannon33

Shannon33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2010
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Looks like a Polish to me.
    I have 3 of them about 10 weeks old. Different colors but look very similar to yours in terms of body type, leg color, hair do-s, lol.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  3. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Coming from that particular hatchery, I would not be surprised if it is a mixed breed. I ordered Old English Game bantams from them and ended up with some that had crests. Some of my Wyandottes from them had single combs. It's not an APA recognized color of Polish. Can you get a better shot of its face showing the comb?

4. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    it looks like its trying to be a gold laced polish, but very bad lacing

5. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    Ideal has Red Crested Red Polish. I think they are supposed to be bantams, but they are larger than the tiny bantams like Old English. I'm pretty sure that's what you've got. I picked up two a couple years ago in a feed store bin that looked just like that. Turned out to be two roos so I gave them away.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by