What is Infesting My Chookies?

Anianna

Songster
9 Years
Feb 28, 2010
N/E of Richmond, VA
I thought they had some dirt or shavings on them, but when I saw head flicking, I knew we had a pest problem. Upon closer examination, I see that whatever is pestering my chickens is a tiny flying bug that doesn't appear to be mosquitoes or gnats and are all over them instead of just flying around them. I don't know if the critters are biting them as the birds are showing no signs of blood loss at this point, but the bugs are clearly irritating them. As far as I know, mites don't fly. Anybody know what these pesky buggies are?

Could it be the classic "no-see-ums"? They are tiny, little gnats, almost too small to see, and yes they bite and suck blood. They can ruin a picnic or other outing. I doubt sevin would help, and I wouldn't use off or similar on my birds. A good dust bath with wood ashes or DE might help some (if that's the pest).

I will get back to y'all. I dusted them with DE last night before my first post.
They are not no-see-um's cause...well... I can see-um. Small and gray winged I believe. If I still have them this weekend I will catch one and magnify.

Back
Top Bottom