What is Infesting My Chookies?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Anianna, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Anianna

Anianna Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    N/E of Richmond, VA
    I thought they had some dirt or shavings on them, but when I saw head flicking, I knew we had a pest problem. Upon closer examination, I see that whatever is pestering my chickens is a tiny flying bug that doesn't appear to be mosquitoes or gnats and are all over them instead of just flying around them. I don't know if the critters are biting them as the birds are showing no signs of blood loss at this point, but the bugs are clearly irritating them. As far as I know, mites don't fly. Anybody know what these pesky buggies are?

2. Craigerpo

Craigerpo New Egg

Oct 15, 2011
    Did you find your answer? I found the same type of thing this morning.

3. BamaSilkies

BamaSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2011
    NE Alabama
    I dont know what they could be but I would dust them with DE or maybe a very light mist of Adams on them.

4. geoff40

geoff40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Boonies, NH
    Could it be the classic "no-see-ums"? They are tiny, little gnats, almost too small to see, and yes they bite and suck blood. They can ruin a picnic or other outing. I doubt sevin would help, and I wouldn't use off or similar on my birds. A good dust bath with wood ashes or DE might help some (if that's the pest).

5. Craigerpo

Craigerpo New Egg

Oct 15, 2011
    I will get back to y'all. I dusted them with DE last night before my first post.
    They are not no-see-um's cause...well... I can see-um. Small and gray winged I believe. If I still have them this weekend I will catch one and magnify.

6. CluckyJay

CluckyJay Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    There is some kind of gnat around here. They don't bite but they swarm when the days warm up. I haven't noticed them at the chicken pens though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by