What is killing my chickens? Help!

What is your feed? Is it a scratch and peck type or a balanced layer pellet? With the sitting down eating pictures, it seems like it could be a riboflavin (vitamin B2) deficiency. I am a big fan of human B complex tablets that contain all B’s, and some C as well. Dosage is 1/4-1/2 tablet daily, and can be crushed into a bit of food, egg, or dissolved in a spoonful of water. Whatever vitamin, make sure there is riboflavin on the label. Heat sure can cause problems, and a reproductive problem could be possible as well. Coccidiosis is not that common in birds that age. But it is possible. You can use b vitamins with sulfa.,I would definitely get a necropsy by the state vet if you lose another, but keep the body cold, not frozen in a cooler or wrapped in bags in the fridge. I hope they get better.
Thank you! I appreciate this community so much. I’ve really been blessed by everyone’s consistent knowledge and willingness to share it. I’m keeping a close eye on the one I worry for. After day 5 I’ll pump them up with those b vitamins. Any idea on the dosage? I know you mentioned a few tabs per glkon of water but what’s the Mg. For the b vitas? I’ll grab that today

You're very welcome! Sounds really good, you're right on track. :) If there are any developments more, (I sort of feel not likely, but let's be prepared), then it will be a case of antibiotics. But I get the feel we will probably not go there one little bit.

Definitely! Let's see those improvements! :)

Ah it's crazy. Germany had no winter, really; Australia is supposed to be in their winter way down south there, and they say it is like Spring and has been, no cold, no cool change of any note. Canada gets green winters more and more with some sort of big snow dump at the end of the Winter season. It's all very crazy right now. Like I know someone down that way who says it's even too hot to find escape at the beach. That's madness. So it is really hot for you good people. And inside all day says it all. Must be hard to try and sleep, and to bunk down children and who feels like cooking when the weather has gone insane? So I want the very best for Texas, you and your flock too, and come on, whoever's listening, and please ease this heat. Take it away now. They have had enough.
I am definitely keeping everyone in the world in my thoughts with this heat! Even in the northern parts of the USA it’s still quite hot, and definitely hotter than normal. The worst part is we haven’t had any rain in months. Not even a drizzle or sprinkle! Which makes the what much more unbearable. We have clouds today - which we have not had any cloud coverage in months also. I hope you are not in crazy heat waves like us!

Thank you! I appreciate this community so much. I’ve really been blessed by everyone’s consistent knowledge and willingness to share it. I’m keeping a close eye on the one I worry for. After day 5 I’ll pump them up with those b vitamins. Any idea on the dosage? I know you mentioned a few tabs per glkon of water but what’s the Mg. For the b vitas? I’ll grab that today
The B complex (and super B complex as well) I recommended is 1/4 to 1/2 tablet daily given to each chicken in a bit of food. They crush easily and will go in food or in a spoonful of water which can be given with a dropper. Here is a good one:
Spring Valley Super Vitamin B-Complex Dietary Supplement Tablets, 250 Count

But you can use other vitamins, just make sure that any chicken vitamin has riboflavin listed. Some do not, such as Poultry NutriDrench.

Looks like heat stress to me - If you have a cool garage or basement you might want to put her in a plastic bin and separate her from the rest for now. It might also help to give her frozen bread, cold watermelon, or icey water.

I am definitely keeping everyone in the world in my thoughts with this heat! Even in the northern parts of the USA it’s still quite hot, and definitely hotter than normal. The worst part is we haven’t had any rain in months. Not even a drizzle or sprinkle! Which makes the what much more unbearable. We have clouds today - which we have not had any cloud coverage in months also. I hope you are not in crazy heat waves like us!
Rain rain go away, decried the old nursery song. It's weird weather. People all over are getting hit. And yes, Im sharing the hardship, we haven't got rain to mention. The heat is really making me wonder what's going on. But we will do as always we have done. We will endure. Or... burst into flames, whichever comes first.

Back
Top Bottom