What is Lance?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Albanydog, Jul 27, 2010.

1. Albanydog

Albanydog Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2009
    Central Oregon Coast
    OK, he is a rooster, that part I know LOL But what breed or possible mix is he with that comb?
    His comb really is the dark reddish purple colors shown in the pictures, it is not blood or bruising.
    His is approximately 18 months old. He is small in stature, about the size of our Rhode Island Red hens, maybe even as small as the Red Star hens... Anyway, the other roosters (Giant Cochin, RIR and even the Saipan Jungle Fowl) are all noticeably taller and/or larger then he is, but he is a tough little guy and has such beautiful colors.
    He was a gift. His previous owners bought him as a chick at a feed store (in the Mid-Willamette Valley in Oregon) so we assume he is a purebred something and when he matured the other roosters kicked his butt. They were afraid he would get hurt so we took him. Odd that he holds his own with our roosters. They don't fight now that they all established their pecking order and territories around the farm.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for your help, it's not a life or death need to know, I have just always been curious, couldn't match his comb up with any of the comb charts I have seen and had not come across any combs like his particular shape or color in all my internet browsing.

2. AthamGI

AthamGI Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2007
    He's looks part Silkie. A lot of my silkie-mixed roos have looked like that. Weird comb and all.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    He looks like a silkie cross. Does he have five toes and darkish skin? That would confirm my guess.

4. Albanydog

Albanydog Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2009
    Central Oregon Coast
    Snuck into the coop tonight to count his toes, LOL.
    Dark legs, only 4 toes and his skin is a healthy light pink. I forgot that normally he has just a couple feather on his feet but I just treated him for scaly leg mites and his feet are a little funky yet.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

He does kindof look like he has a Silky head. He's definitely cute, er, handsome. I like him [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by