What is Lance?

Albanydog

Songster
10 Years
Nov 22, 2009
Central Oregon Coast
OK, he is a rooster, that part I know LOL But what breed or possible mix is he with that comb?
His comb really is the dark reddish purple colors shown in the pictures, it is not blood or bruising.
His is approximately 18 months old. He is small in stature, about the size of our Rhode Island Red hens, maybe even as small as the Red Star hens... Anyway, the other roosters (Giant Cochin, RIR and even the Saipan Jungle Fowl) are all noticeably taller and/or larger then he is, but he is a tough little guy and has such beautiful colors.
He was a gift. His previous owners bought him as a chick at a feed store (in the Mid-Willamette Valley in Oregon) so we assume he is a purebred something and when he matured the other roosters kicked his butt. They were afraid he would get hurt so we took him. Odd that he holds his own with our roosters. They don't fight now that they all established their pecking order and territories around the farm.

035-3.jpg

033-3.jpg

Thanks for your help, it's not a life or death need to know, I have just always been curious, couldn't match his comb up with any of the comb charts I have seen and had not come across any combs like his particular shape or color in all my internet browsing.

He's looks part Silkie. A lot of my silkie-mixed roos have looked like that. Weird comb and all.

Last edited:
Snuck into the coop tonight to count his toes, LOL.
Dark legs, only 4 toes and his skin is a healthy light pink. I forgot that normally he has just a couple feather on his feet but I just treated him for scaly leg mites and his feet are a little funky yet.

007-1.jpg

002-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom