1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what is molting? And can it happen before they even start laying?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by j-me, Nov 9, 2009.

1. j-me

j-me Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2009
    West Michigan
    I have 4orps and 4slw they are 28 weeks today.
    We are getting 1 egg a day and there are 2 hens with big bright red wattles. And I know any day we should be getting more eggs.
    Today I went to give them some cracked corn and noticed one of my SLW had a patch of feather missing near her tail. What's up? It this molting? And can they molt before they lay?

We added a light in the coop for 4a.m.-8a.m. to add some daylight to maybe get them to lay.

I am getting inpatient...

HELP

2. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    I would guess that you have a rooster that has taken interest in this one hen...

3. j-me

j-me Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2009
    West Michigan
    NO rooster!

Hey, I am in Grand haven... where are you..?
    Fellow michigander

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
  5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    That seems much too old to me for a juvenile molt; be worth keeping a CLOSE eye on them for any indications of picking...

GOod luck, have fun,

Pat

6. juliawitt

juliawitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    I was very glad to read those articles. My little girls are around 12 weeks old and I have feathers everywhere. There is no pecking....everyone seems to be happy with everybody. I was getting worried about all those feathers laying around. No eating of feathers and no bald patches, just alot of loose feathers laying around. I have been giving yougurt, cheese and a little bit of catfood for protein in addition to their pellets...I'm just not going to worry now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by