What is my hen doing

Taytay26

In the Brooder
Apr 6, 2019
I am new to owning chickens and this one girl is my rooster favorite but she is not laying yet but idk what she is doing I put a fake egg were she was laying down at and now she sitting on top. Is she getting ready to start laying eggs

Attachments

• 01E6FE10-D8C3-4B2A-BF12-FB985B562261.jpeg
    01E6FE10-D8C3-4B2A-BF12-FB985B562261.jpeg
    493.4 KB · Views: 16
We don’t know how old she is we got her about a month ago but the guy told us she is about to start laying

Well she was grabbing leafs and putting them next to her
That is a nesting instinct. She may be close to laying. Have her comb & wattles become fuller & a brighter red recently? Is she squatting? Has she been checking out the nesting boxes? They may scratch around in the nesting box making it satisfactory for them. Some hens get really vocal about being ready to lay. You know your hen best so if she is displaying these signs you could have an egg any day now.

That is a nesting instinct. She may be close to laying. Have her comb & wattles become fuller & a brighter red recently? Is she squatting? Has she been checking out the nesting boxes? They may scratch around in the nesting box making it satisfactory for them. Some hens get really vocal about being ready to lay. You know your hen best so if she is displaying these signs you could have an egg any day now.
X2
:goodpost:
I have a few hens that will pick up small pine shavings and place underneath them, on top of their back, or off to their side. They're not broody hens they're just making the nest "just so' to their satisfaction.
If your girl is just reaching POL she may just be being particular.

Back
Top Bottom