What is my Silkie's PROBLEM! - Video link update

mrsgibber

Songster
11 Years
Jun 3, 2008
Bolton, CT
I have a silkie about 8 weeks old. We still do not know if it is a boy or a girl, but I am thinking boy.

Anyway, the girls have all established a bedtime routine where everyone heads back into the coop at dusk and gets up to the highest roost. Everyone kinda snuggles up and starts their little lullaby night song. However, my little Silkie gets up there and screams his/her head off and squaks at the other girls trying to nudge them out of it's way like it is trying to move down the roost. It's even pecking whoever is next to him/her to get them to move...of course they are all bigger than her and won't budge so he/she ends up getting knocked off the roost. This goes on over and over until the Silkie is too tired to get back up to the roost.

Is this part of the pecking order thing? Everyone else seems content but my Silkie has a real attitude problem. If I try to pick it up to help back to the roost it pecks at my hand too....which it doesn't normally do during the day. I don't even feel like the Silkie is at the bottom of the pecking order. I've seen it push others around and I have another Bantie that is half her size that I would think would end up on the bottom.

What is his/her problem?????
hu.gif

Last edited:
Funny to hear a silkie story like that. I bet it is a roo and he is having a darn tootin' time trying to make these chickens understand that HE gets to choose where he is going to roost for the night. Aint' noone is going to tell him any different! haha (including the hand that feeds him) Maybe it will pass. I could picture it though.
smile.png

Oh I definitely get the vibe I have a little boy on my hand. They were out in the run yesterday and (I'm just gonna say he from now on) he made this noise and all the others stopped dead in their tracks and shot their heads up while he made some kind of cooing noise. I thought maybe something startled them as usual but I didn't see anything around and they stayed put for a long time until they saw him go back to his business.

Are Silkie roos more aggressive than the hens but in general less than other breeds? Should I just leave them all be or is it ok for me to move the others around to give him his spot? I was worried because he got knocked down so many times I'm afraid he's gonna get hurt.

My silkie roo generally tries to attack my daughter, and he's bitten me about 3 times, twice drawing blood. I've given him the 'boot' in the rump a few times now. However, he has no problem jumping and cat and going for its eyes if its anywhere near his girls! So, he stays for now.

My silkie roo is just sweet! So far his son's have been the same way. He is great with watching his girls but he is very respectful of the humans. I am scared beyond believe of roos and I have no problems at all being around him.

I would let them be and let them jocky for position at night. He/she will learn the rules and figure it out on their own. He shouldn't get hurt falling as long as you have a good amount of pine shavings on the floor.

Quote:
Ok that's good to know. I do have quite a bit of shavings down so he should be having soft enough landings. The little bugger!!!!
D.gif

Bwaaak! :

Sorry mrsgibber mon but your story is sooo funny!
lau.gif

It is funny to watch!!
gig.gif
I am definitely going out with the video camera tonight to capture it. He is such a brat. Thankfully he's a good boy the rest of the time...it's just this nightly roosting where he gets rude!​

Back
Top Bottom