What is optimum time for eggs to go in fridge?

Frogdogtimestwo

Songster
13 Years
May 21, 2008
Out of curiosity and not finding the answer when I searched. Why do some say they leave eggs out on counter for days before refrigerating and some do not wait. I realize most would say bacteria issues, but how long is enough time before going in the fridge? Sometimes when I collect eggs in the morning they are really cold already and others I have collected warm sit on the counter for a few hours then stick them in the fridge. I want to give eggs to my elderly neighbors and not worry about any harm to them. Thanks

Last edited:
If you are giving them to your neighbor, I would go ahead and put them in the fridge. Some people leave them out because they use them so fast it doesn't matter. Fresh eggs have "bloom" on them which keeps the bacteria out, so a week on the counter isn't going to hurt them unless they have been washed.

I also know that leaving them on the counter for a few days before hard boiling them makes them easier to peel. Fresh eggs don't peel so well.

but I read last week that someone was getting mold inside their refrigerated eggs, is that from putting them in the fridge too soon? and they stated they had not washed the bloom off. Could that be a shell problem? Or did I read into it wrong. I just don't want elderly people who could have compromised immune systems get a moldy egg. I just want to be 100% sure of the right answer
smile.png

I think the mold thing was an isolated incident. I don't know of anyone else who has had that problem. If mine are warm when I collect them, I let them sit on the counter until they are room temp. and then put them in the fridge.

Eggs could have been damp, carton damp and mold grew. Or sometimes, a fiber carton can get stuck onto the shell of the egg and looks like mold. I just put them straight in the fridge, or sit out. Doesn't really matter.

GOOD! I try not be paranoid, but we are the youngest family in our neighborhood and they barely talk to us as is, I can't imagine if I gave them bad eggs. I am trying to make nice with them since my 2 roosters are obnoxious crowers :
big_smile.png

Thank you everyone! I am glad to hear the temp of the egg going into the fridge doesn't matter and that mold was an isolated incident.

only reason to leave them out before refrigerating is if you think you wanna use them at room-temperature (r.t. eggs do work better for some things, like beating egg whites for meringues) or if you just figure you'll use 'em before they go bad and have more space on the countertop than the fridge.

only reason to put 'em in the fridge AFTER they've been sitting on the counter is if you realize you were wrong and probably *won't* use 'em up so fast as all that
smile.png

Pat

Back
Top Bottom