What is she & where did she come from?!

These are all the Mamas from the clutch she hatched out of. My neighbors all have Reds so I don't think it was a drive by. Any ideas what my Cleatus could be??

Thanks for the pics.

None of those hens show any EE characteristics. I don't see how it is possible that Rabbit can be sired by Cleatus and out of one of those hens and yet has a pea comb, not to mention the beard and coloration. One of her parents was an Easter Egger. Something happened. Maybe one of your neighbors had an EE or EE cross rooster for a short time that you didn't know about?

I think Cleatus is a Welsummer.

Welsummer huh! Gotta love second hand chickens...it's like the telephone game on breeds. They are free range so I guess it's possible we had another rooster passing through, lucky me! Thanks so much for the info guys!!

I have to agree with most of the others here. That lovely lady is bearded and muffed and has a pea comb. Those are dominant traits, so I would have a good look around the neighbors for a randy fellow with some of those characteristics who may have had a go at one of your ladies. A rooster can cover a hen one time and she will be laying fertile eggs for up to a month after.
I also agree that Cleatus is not a brown leghorn. He would be a bit rangier looking and have bright white earlobes. Welsummers also generally have yellow legs (look like the Kellogg's Corn Flakes box). Your's has white legs, but otherwise that would be my best guy judging his color and general type/stature.

I have to agree with most of the others here. That lovely lady is bearded and muffed and has a pea comb. Those are dominant traits, so I would have a good look around the neighbors for a randy fellow with some of those characteristics who may have had a go at one of your ladies. A rooster can cover a hen one time and she will be laying fertile eggs for up to a month after. 
I also agree that Cleatus is not a brown leghorn. He would be a bit rangier looking and have bright white earlobes. Welsummers also generally have yellow legs (look like the Kellogg's Corn Flakes box). Your's has white legs, but otherwise that would be my best guy judging his color and general type/stature.

Maybe it's my computer screen but his legs look yellow to me. Faded yellow, but definitely yellow.

Back
Top Bottom