what is the best knife.

BlessedCountry6

Songster
5 Years
Mar 8, 2014
peace, hope and country
Today we killed our first two chickens. Over all it went really well. The only issue was the knife. We had a large pocket knife and a large kitchen knife. Neither worked well. We did sharpen the kitchen knife but it didn't help. And the pocket knife is new. What type of knife is the best for cutting into the neck to slit their arteries?
Thanks for the help.

I use a utility knife or box cutter. One that uses razor blades. It is very sharp and when the blade starts to lose its edge you just replace it with a new one.

Which one do you have? I'm looking on Amazon, and there are a few different options.

This no-frills one.

http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Cu...=1454032959&sr=8-16&keywords=victorinox+knife

Got through 1.5 days of Turkey processing in the fall and only had to run it through one of those Teflon sharpeners quickly towards the end. Didn't have it for summer broilers, but I imagine if used correctly, my guess is it would do 100 birds before giving you a messy cut.

Probably a little longer than needed for poultry, but I had my spring pig in mind when I bought it. I do find the length helps finesse around the vent though.

Last edited:
Thank you so much. That is simple and brilliant. Both my husband and I love that idea! I had no idea chicken necks were so tough to cut through. We want a quick peaceful passing. That should help.

You can get a reusable stainless steel scalpel handle on Ebay with 100 sterile blades for about $7-8 delivered... You can also get them with 10 blades, just the handle or whatever as well...

Search for 'scalpel handle blades 100'

I use these scalpels for everything around the house, after a friend turned me on to them...

Last edited:
My favorite is a rapala, like to filet fish.

I bought a knife made for hunting ducks. It is smaller, larger and stiffer than the rapala. It's good, but rapala is best :)
In case a rapala is not the same for you and me, here is what I mean:

http://www.besthuntingknives.org/wp...la-Marttiini-Salmon-Rosewood-Fillet-Knife.jpg

I always get both out when I butcher, but I usually leave the hunting knife on the table unless I hit a few bones with the rapala and it needs to be sharpened. Then I switch to the other knife!

Back
Top Bottom