What is the best material to put in the bottom of a chicken run?

ChickenGirl300

Crowing
Jun 16, 2019
We are going to be building a new chicken run, and right now the bottom is mostly stone dust, but should I leave that or does anyone have any other ideas I could use for the bottom of the run? Thank you

We are going to be building a new chicken run, and right now the bottom is mostly stone dust, but should I leave that or does anyone have any other ideas I could use for the bottom of the run? Thank you
Where are you located in the world? That usually always makes a difference.
I use thickly laid down wood chips that I get for free from the local Highway Department. They work great for drainage, cold composting, scratching around in and dust bathing. And when freshly laid, they smell great.

I use thickly laid down wood chips that I get for free from the local Highway Department. They work great for drainage, cold composting, scratching around in and dust bathing. And when freshly laid, they smell great.
We live on the East Coast, but the wood chip idea sounds good.

Pics of area?
How deep is dust?
Any drainage issues?

We live on the East Coast
Maine or Florida?

Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1603403717686.png

how do you go about contacting the highway dept to see if they can give you wood chips?

I think it depends where you are and what materials are most widely available. I use dead leaves and grass that I rake up to prevent fires. It doesn't rain a ton here, but it floods because of the clay soil. I also put stuff through the wood chipper and use that. sawdust from cutting wood for the stove & furniture, pretty much anything non-toxic and free I can find!
Making it deep & putting woodchips at the bottom helps with the flooding. I also plan to dig trenches and of course put my coops high above ground.

I'm currently using sand. I chose it because the run turned into mud every time it rained. So I opted for putting a mulching cloth and then the sand on it (to prevent the sand mixing with the soil). Tha sand have a perfect drainage and doesn't became so muddy, it also dries faster, is easy to clean and becomes a big dustbath area. The cons are that you need to prevent any spilling of food and bedding from the coop or it will become a mess and you need to turn it sometimes, especially in the points where you walk more often and the sand was wet, because it tends to harden.

Back
Top Bottom