What is the best present you can get your chickens?

chickensrock12

Songster
8 Years
Sep 22, 2015
Utah
So, the Christmas holidays are coming. I absolutely love chickens and all I'm getting for Christmas is chicken supplies. But, if you don't want to spend the money. You can make something for them, with stuff you probably have laying around your house. So this is a something I came up with. So, get a big bowl, 1 teaspoon of honey, cut up a banana, apples, put 1 grape for every chicken you have, get 1 cup their chicken feed, get one of their eggs(they will not eat their eggs, trust me), get one slice of bread(any kind, rip up), get half a cup of water, put half a handful of drit, and find some bugs. Then mix it all together. Then put it in the fridge tell Christmas day(tip, do on Christmas Eve). Then serve.

Last edited:
I and the chickens like to have a nice warm serving of oatmeal on a cold winter morning. I know it isn't anything fancy but they just love and will all crowd around my feet and make it nearly impossible to walk to the food tray because they are so excited to have a hot meal in the morning. Last year we had knitted vests for the red-sex-links since they were not as cold hearty as the Jersey Giants we have now. Haven't decided just what I am going to do for them this year though.

Do you croshay. If you do you can look up on YouTube, how to croshay chicken sweaters or you can get this dog water heater bowl, the one I have for winter gives off heat. So I think if you get the one I got off of Amazon will do the same thing. Sometimes I have to open the vent in the coop, because it gets to hot. But do that and it will probably work. But that recipe will give them a boost and will keep them warmer. It works for my gals. You should do it. If you want the dog bowl, go to Amazon, look up chicken water heater, stroll down tell you find it. It's 20.00.

Last edited:
It has been a warm fall for us but our JG should be very tolerant of cold weather, they are big and meaty with lots if long beautiful feathers. We have 10 birds in our out door flock so everyone has a snuggle buddy when it comes time to roost. Also our chicken coop is a camper that we converted so it has some insulation already built in. It should be a great place to nest in the winter as we converted all the cabinate spaces into nesting boxes.

That is so cool. I love RVs. I actually live in on. Too bad my coop is open. But I have it open because we have no predators here. I put the fence a foot I the ground and have it 7 feet in the air. Also I have heavy duty boards of wood all around and inside the coop. It is really heavy. Thank you.

If you live in a mild climate I hear chickens love a "chicken swing," It keeps them busy and maybe builds up their drumsticks - which could be a good thing for later use.
lau.gif

I actually have one of those. But, they haven't tried it. I put it up about 3 weeks ago. There is only one that hops on it. I have 2 chickens, I've only seen her get on it 1 time. It's also only 2 feet off the ground. Could you help me, how would I get both of them to use it?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom