1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is the best way to attach a hose bib (faucet, spigot, whatever) to a 5 gallon bucket?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by gale65, Mar 9, 2012.

1. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

I've seen some attached to the side and some that are attached to a pipe that is attached to the bottom of the bucket. What's the best way to do this to avoid leaking?

2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
  3. lokua

lokua Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2011
  4. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    The best way is with a uniseal. Just drill the hole, put the seal inside and stick the pipe through. It'll outlast the bucket, requires nothing extra and won't ever leak.

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Use a Bulkhead on the bottom of the bucket then you thread a pipe into the Bulkhead.

[​IMG]

Chris

6. gale65

I went to home depot today and had no luck. I may have to order it online. The plumbing guy and the garden guy were both trying to find something that would work but I wanted something that was at least somewhat proven. Where can I order them from and what size is the correct one for a standard valve to fit on?

7. gale65

ok just figured out why the HD guys had no clue. I did a quick search and it looks like a bulkhead is an aquarium fitting. I knew I'd heard that word and now I know where-on the show Tanked. Any idea what size would be best for using with valves from home depot and regular garden hose?

8. wilbilt

wilbilt Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2012
    Nor Cal
    3/4" NPT is the most common thread for hose bibs and spigots.

9. gale65

I am looking at these bulkheads and uniseals now and they all require at least a 1-1/4" hole drilled. Is there an option where we can use just a 1/2" or 3/4" hole? I don't want to buy an expensive hole saw bit just for this one project.

10. old tom

old tom Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2012
    South Austin since 1963
    Go to my thread titled automatic watering device. The toilet fill valve is under $6, the supply line,
    3/8 to 3/4 adapter, and the 3/4 to female hose thread are under $10, and the Avian Aqua Miser
    nipples are about $7 each. This is not a new idea, just my version. We tested it on 2 year old
    hens and they caught on pretty fast when they got thirsty. A 15/16 paddle bit isn't that expensive.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by