What is the best way to start understanding chicken genetics?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by georgialee, May 3, 2009.

1. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    The title says it all! Is there a book or website? Thanks!

2. TimG

TimG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Maine
    There ought to be a stickied thread with links. I've only been reading this forum for a little while and already it seems like a popular question. Someone asked just a few days ago.

This link takes you to a list of books available in digital form. There are classics like Genetics of the Fowl and The Mating and Breeding of Poultry there.

Poultry Genetics for the Nonprofessional is a website that provides the basics of genetics in general and of poultry in specific.

Those two links should provide you with a good start (and many hours of reading if you are really interested).

3. Glenda L Heywood

Glenda L Heywood Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    yes there is
    at cornell university the have all 900 pgs of
    Genetics of Fowl by FBHutt
    it is like laymans terms in genetics and much easie to understand genetics than Crawfords genetic book
    and a lot cheaper
    for the $45.00 it is worth every cent

PDF] GENETICS OF THE FOWL File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - View as HTML
    By F. B. HUTT. Department of Poultry Husbandry, Cornell University,1. Ithaca, N.Y., U.S.A.. (With Plate XV). Introduction. In the first paper of this series ...
    www.ias.ac.in/jarch/jgenet/32/277.pdf - Similar pages

by EB HUTT - Cited by 199 - Related articles - All 3 versions
    (HUTT F. B. HUTT. Dzpartment of. Poultry Husbandry, Cornell University Agricultural. Experiment Station, Ithaca, NCW York. Received July ...
    www.genetics.org/cgi/reprint/36/3/213.pdf - Similar pages
    by FB Hutt - 1951 - Cited by 5 - Related

also you can buy one from amazon/com

Amazon.com: Genetics of the Fowl: F.B. Hutt: Books Amazon.com: Genetics of the Fowl: FB Hutt: Books. ... My new science fiction book, One Survivor, is a rip-roaring yarn set in the far future. ...
    www.amazon.com/Genetics-Fowl-F-B-Hutt/dp/B0014MDHRQ - 241k - Cached - Similar pages

4. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

5. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    Thanks so much everyone!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by