What is the breed of my roo?

yardbirdhawk

In the Brooder
Jan 7, 2016
20170702_150516-1.jpg
20170702_150246-1.jpg
He is about 4.5 to 5 months old in these photos and starting to get his adult hackle and saddle feathers.

Probably a mix that could involve American game fowl, Aseel, Sumatra or Shamo.

Well, it was kind of a set up on my part. I did not ask the question about my roo because I did not know, but mostly to bring awareness to the breed. This breed was nearly lost, but several breeders have for many years been working to bring them back to their former glory. Jed Jackson has come closer than anyone to guess the breed, as he has listed many of the probable ancestors (Sumatra, not so much). The hatchery remarks stung a little, but I'll get over it. I kinda thought the lobster tail would surely give it away. He and his mate are young Black Cubalayas, nearly lost to the island of their namesakes where they were developed from stock probably from the Philippines, hence the exotic Asian influences plus some European genes in the mix as well. The black, white and black breasted reds are currently recognized.

Well, it was kind of a set up on my part. I did not ask the question about my roo because I did not know, but mostly to bring awareness to the breed. This breed was nearly lost, but several breeders have for many years been working to bring them back to their former glory. Jed Jackson has come closer than anyone to guess the breed, as he has listed many of the probable ancestors (Sumatra, not so much). The hatchery remarks stung a little, but I'll get over it. I kinda thought the lobster tail would surely give it away. He and his mate are young Black Cubalayas, nearly lost to the island of their namesakes where they were developed from stock probably from the Philippines, hence the exotic Asian influences plus some European genes in the mix as well. The black, white and black breasted reds are currently recognized.
Ah, I see it now. I didn't know Cubalayas came in black. Yours are nice looking birds.

Ah, I see it now. I didn't know Cubalayas came in black. Yours are nice looking birds.

Black was the norm in Cuba prior to the decline of the island as a result of Castro's regime. Black ones (Stags, black hens are easy to get. ) are nearly extinct both there and here now. Mine is still young. Whether or not he remains black is yet to be seen. Often they will start getting some red in the hackles and white in those long lobster tails as they continue to mature. The all black stag is what I'm working to get though, and I will very pleased to get it. After that, an all black flock will be my aim. Thanks for the compliment!

Back
Top Bottom