What is the difference?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by YoYofranko, Jul 5, 2011.

1. YoYofranko

YoYofranko Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2010
    York Yorkshire
    Is the ameraucana the US version of the araucana? Or are they two different breeds? Just curious as we have a lavender araucana cock, not sure we can get ameraucana's in England, never come across one if there is. Might be a very stupid question, i'm still a chicken learner lol. Thanks

2. Zaxby's2

Zaxby's2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    They are two different breeds. [​IMG] You can check them out on the breeds index page.

3. YoYofranko

Nov 2, 2010
    York Yorkshire
    Ok thanks just seen a picture of a ameraucana and they do look different. I'm guessing you can buy them here then, must be pretty rare and maybe of a different standard.

4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
  5. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Since you are in the UK, your standards for the araucana are different from U.S. standards of the araucana, too. Supposed to be the same breed, but are bred in two radically different ways. Here in the U.S. the focus is on rumplessness and ear tufts, while in the UK they are supposed to have beards, muffs, and a tail (much like the Ameraucana breed here in the U.S.). Both standards for araucanas call for blue eggs, but when you compare pictures of the two, hard to think of them as the same breed.

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:I believe that both the US and British standards for araucana require tufts.

7. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    Quote:I believe that both the US and British standards for araucana require tufts.

The UK Standards very differtly. A lady on the island (PEI) breeds UK Araucanas

The us Stanard must have tufts
    the UK version can have tufts or muffs

The UK Standered says it can have a tail or can be tailless (if i remeber correctly)

The UK says it can have a creast (not 100% sure just from what i read).

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
  9. YoYofranko

Nov 2, 2010
    York Yorkshire
    Oh right that's very interesting thanks guys. Was trying to add a picture of our's but cant work out how to do it. He has a very beautiful tail [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by