What is the difference?

YoYofranko

In the Brooder
9 Years
Nov 2, 2010
York Yorkshire
Is the ameraucana the US version of the araucana? Or are they two different breeds? Just curious as we have a lavender araucana cock, not sure we can get ameraucana's in England, never come across one if there is. Might be a very stupid question, i'm still a chicken learner lol. Thanks

They are two different breeds.
big_smile.png
You can check them out on the breeds index page.

Ok thanks just seen a picture of a ameraucana and they do look different. I'm guessing you can buy them here then, must be pretty rare and maybe of a different standard.

Since you are in the UK, your standards for the araucana are different from U.S. standards of the araucana, too. Supposed to be the same breed, but are bred in two radically different ways. Here in the U.S. the focus is on rumplessness and ear tufts, while in the UK they are supposed to have beards, muffs, and a tail (much like the Ameraucana breed here in the U.S.). Both standards for araucanas call for blue eggs, but when you compare pictures of the two, hard to think of them as the same breed.

Quote:
I believe that both the US and British standards for araucana require tufts.

The UK Standards very differtly. A lady on the island (PEI) breeds UK Araucanas

The us Stanard must have tufts
the UK version can have tufts or muffs

The UK Standered says it can have a tail or can be tailless (if i remeber correctly)

The UK says it can have a creast (not 100% sure just from what i read).

Oh right that's very interesting thanks guys. Was trying to add a picture of our's but cant work out how to do it. He has a very beautiful tail
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom