What is the easiest roof to install?

Rubber roof sheet. Not sure if it needs a top layer, but it certainly needs a bottom layer. But, that’s not a huge piece…might be able to find some extra from a roofing business or off-cuts.

There is rubberized roof paint that some we people use for their coop floors, but it’s roof paint. Think it needs a top layer too, but possible option.

Some people have even used plastic/woven feed bags overlapping generously, to get them through several months or longer. But might not be a good option for a flat roof since water won’t be shed very fast.

We have metal roofing over our run, which is 50’x 10’, but it slants so the metal was 12’ long. It has supports beneath it (but not a solid sheet of anything) and has been walked on before without issue. Our coop roof is plywood with paper then shingles.

Does anyone know how rubber roof sheet compares to 'rolled roofing'?

https://www.thespruce.com/rolled-roofing-1821945

That had been my best find online before asking. I like that it rolls on. But rubber does sound better than the rolled roofing in theory.

climate wise I'm in Oregon. Rainy seasons, rare snowstorms.

I have some sheets of used plywood I could destaple and denail before applying a rolled rubber or other roll on solution.

That said I also like the idea of just putting something like 5v directly onto rafters... IF I could avoid doing purlins (I hate purlins lol).

Honestly, my last 2 roofing experiences (both on 8x12 buildings with 12x2 corrugated pieces were so unfun I'm pretty much willing to ignore budget for ease of install.

The building has significant ventilation, I usually hardware cloth the triangle between high and low wall.

16527220609603583988314439250611.jpg

Ventilation picture and an example of what I want to avoid ever doing again. I used 12 footers to allow a significant overhang so nestboxes don't get rained on and we can grab eggs out of the rain. I've done this roof twice,.never again

Last edited:
Does anyone know how rubber roof sheet compares to 'rolled roofing'?

https://www.thespruce.com/rolled-roofing-1821945

That had been my best find online before asking. I like that it rolls on. But rubber does sound better than the rolled roofing in theory.
as I understand it - and it has been many years since I saw rolled roofing - the rubber is an underlayer to prevent leaks.
Roll roofing is that: One big old shingle on a roll.

I am at a loss as to why you built it as you did. Possibly Mfg Instructions for the polycarbonate roof?

I did this (inside view) - Framing went up for the walls, rafters laid in place and hurricane tied down (note, no birdsmouths - faster. Not nearly as strong, but its just chickens and goats inside, no need to build like a people house).

Purlins laid on top and screwed down. 5v roof panels laid on those and screwed down. I can walk on it, (on the purlins), my goats walk all over it...)

1652724229740.png

I am at a loss as to why you built it as you did. Possibly Mfg Instructions for the polycarbonate roof?

I did this (inside view) - Framing went up for the walls, rafters laid in place and hurricane tied down (note, no birdsmouths - faster. Not nearly as strong, but its just chickens and goats inside, no need to build like a people house).

Purlins laid on top and screwed down. 5v roof panels laid on those and screwed down. I can walk on it, (on the purlins), my goats walk all over it...)
Here' the external framing - about 4 hours of work, alone.

1652724540058.png

View attachment 3110670

Yep. Followed the diagrams. I did birdsmouths on the rafter (ugh), and then I had to put purlins between the rafter, not on top like you did (double ugh). They wanted me to essentially screw down the edges every x inches so I needed the entire length of the rafter to drive screws, rather than just at the purlins.

It was nightmare fuel.

Edit - it's possible the directions didn't have purlins at all, just rafters? But once I built it they clearly sagged without purlin support. It's been a year. I probably could have doubleed the rafters instead but that would require another batch of 2x12s instead of scrap purlins.

Back
Top Bottom