What is the fate of your ducks?

Same with me. I only have 2 ducks. Started with 3, but a year ago a hawk killed my Gigi. I cried and mourned for weeks because she was basically a family member. I am also a vegetarian. I don't even do anything with the eggs, I just throw them out lol.
My duckies are like my children. I just want them to be happy and healthy.
There are, of course, a lot of people that do eat eggs and use them in cooking. What we do with our excess eggs (15-18 dozen per week mixed chicken and ducks) is donate them to a food pantry. Some pantries will not except eggs because they do not have refrigeration to keep them in but why not just check around and see if someone near you could use them to help feed those that need help. Better than just tossing them out with the garbage.

There are, of course, a lot of people that do eat eggs and use them in cooking. What we do with our excess eggs (15-18 dozen per week mixed chicken and ducks) is donate them to a food pantry. Some pantries will not except eggs because they do not have refrigeration to keep them in but why not just check around and see if someone near you could use them to help feed those that need help. Better than just tossing them out with the garbage.

Good idea. I don't know why I've never thought of that. My duck's eggs are probably always fertilized though since I have a drake. Are they still edible?

Good idea. I don't know why I've never thought of that. My duck's eggs are probably always fertilized though since I have a drake. Are they still edible?
Yep :). We just had 2 this morning for breakfast. A fertilized egg looks and taste the exact same as an unfertilized egg. Unless someone knows to look for the bullseye in an egg they won't know the difference and even then it has taken me a good month of looking at my eggs to tell the difference.

I guess I'm the odd one here. I'm using space at my moms property for my animals, so I raise a group each of ducks and cornish cross for meat, then start all over again. Once we get our own land, the plan is to keep a trio or so of both Rouens and pekins as pets, and raise the babies for meat. I want Ancona and runners pretty much as pets though
smile.png

We do, however, have some goats that had been passed through many homes so we are letting them live out a happy retirement with us.

Nah, I'm with you, though, its only the males I'm going to cull for meat. At a certian point males are more harm than good, and I'd rather not torture my egg layers.

My ducks are for food, either as eggs or meat. I should qualify that I pay someone else to do the butchering. My husband helps me process our chickens and I thought our first ducks would be just the same. Of course, they're so pretty and personable that I got attached to them and after the first one, I cried and my husband said he'd not butcher another duck with me. He got a bit attached to them as well.
Around here some local Amish ladies will do custom poultry butchering. I sure do love me some roasted duck!

I guess I'm the odd one here. I'm using space at my moms property for my animals, so I raise a group each of ducks and cornish cross for meat, then start all over again. Once we get our own land, the plan is to keep a trio or so of both Rouens and pekins as pets, and raise the babies for meat. I want Ancona and runners pretty much as pets though :)

We do, however, have some goats that had been passed through many homes so we are letting them live out a happy retirement with us.

That's good. At least the babies would be raised by their parents so no hard feelings eating them

Back
Top Bottom