What is the Feed Date on Feed bags???

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by SuperChiks, Jul 2, 2011.

1. SuperChiks

SuperChiks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2011
    North Carolina
    Silly question I'm sure but...what exactly is the date printed on the bottom of the Feed bags? Is it the date that feed was bagged? Or the expiration date? I use Purina Starter.

2. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Quote:Date bagged. Expiration date can be calculated from that and affects to temperature, humidity and whether or not bag opened if some nutrient / ingredients prone to degredation. Sometimes includes info about batch as well if multiple ran in a day. Helps track problems that might be related to a particular ingredient.

3. SuperChiks

SuperChiks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2011
    North Carolina
    Quote:Date bagged. Expiration date can be calculated from that and affects to temperature, humidity and whether or not bag opened if some nutrient / ingredients prone to degredation. Sometimes includes info about batch as well if multiple ran in a day. Helps track problems that might be related to a particular ingredient.

Ok cause I just bought a bag of Purina (on July 1st) that said June 30th and the feed was more brownish than I've seen it. I know it will vary but what is fresh suppose to look like. I sure hope it wasn't June 30th of last year!!!

4. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Usually date shown as 06/30/11 or 06-30-11, sometimes with year written 2011.

5. ChickenAl

ChickenAl Diagnosis...Chicken-Headed

Jun 5, 2011
    Putnam cty, NY
    On one bag of organic feed I had it had a use by date. Usually that is three months from the date of manufacture. At least with that brand it was.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by