1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is the heaviest breed of chickens?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by BrodieG, Mar 22, 2012.

1. BrodieG

BrodieG Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2012
    I am starting a flock and I would like to include some birds from large breeds. So far I have Jersey Giants and Brahma on the list. Are these 2 the largest/heaviest chicken breeds? Anyone know of any breeders who have exceptionally large birds?

2. the_great_snag

the_great_snag Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Staples, Minnesota
    Sounds like a pretty good start if you are going purebred breeds. Obviously Cornis x Rocks are the biggest, but they won't live long and they won't breed true. I really like Black Giants. Cornish are very nice too, but take a while to really get big.

3. BrodieG

BrodieG Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2012
    I also have selected Cornish and Wyandotte for my flock. I hope all these will get along ok.

4. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

White Rocks are one you should consider.

1 person likes this.
  5. v.cyr

v.cyr Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Greene, NY
    standard cochins get up there in size... almost as big as a brahma...

6. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    I have light sussex and light sussex x black orpington rooster. The cross one is little larger, but not as large as Jersey Giant. The good thing is light sussex x orpington full growth about 9 months(9-10lbs), not 18 months.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  7. Gofygure

Gofygure Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Just remember that some of the really big breeds take a long time to hit their full weight, and by then they've usually lost their tenderness. I think the birds that are 7 - 8 pounds fully grown are about as good as you'll find for heritage meat birds.

Personally, I'm starting with Speckled Sussex and will probably cross in other breeds over the years.

8. AliceMae

AliceMae Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2012
    'The Boonies' Minnesota
    Would someone please explain what exactly is a "Heavy"? and is the same as a "Broiler"

9. jaj121159

jaj121159 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2010
    Northeast Nebraska
    A heavy is the bigger breeds of chickens, but necessarily cornishX. Heavies can include most bigger standard breeds. New Jersey Giants, Brahma, Cochin are the biggest breeds. But White Rocks, Plymouth Rocks, RIR, Welsummers, etc. are considered heavies as well.

10. AliceMae

AliceMae Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2012
    'The Boonies' Minnesota
    Thank you for that info ~ same as "broilers" ? Are these the ones that grow so big in just a few months that they can hardly walk?

I got some by accident in one of my orders and didn't have a clue what they were or what to do with them! I felt so sorry for them not getting close enough to the feed or water so I called a neighbor farmer guy and he told me that YOU BUTCHER AND EAT THESE!!! WHOA ~~ I couldn't do it! Had to give them away!

Now I'm retired and looking for ways to fill the cellar and the freezer so thinking about those "heavies" again. (I'm a little tougher now and don't like to be hungry.)

Thank you for the help!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by