What is the ideal humidity for hatching in an incubator?

I agree. I keep mind around 50% with chicken eggs, regardless of day. But then I also have a rotating incubation schedule. Eggs get laid on day 1, they go in right away. Eggs get laid on day 2, they go in on Day 2. Eggs get laid on Day 3, they go in on day 3. On day 21, the first eggs will hatch, and whatever eggs get laid that day will be put in the incubator. So I am adding eggs to the incubator every day, and I have hatches almost EVERY day as well. There is no "day 17-21" for me, because every egg is on a separate schedule. So I don't try to raise the humidity at the end.

But then again, a mother hen can't exactly sweat a lot heavier at the end of sitting, either. So it almost seems pointless to raise the humidity. HOWEVER, the hatching eggs themselves will help raise humidity as the liquid on the inside becomes exposed and gets evaporated into the air inside of the incubator. But that first chick to hatch under a momma hen still has to deal with the same humidity she had on day 4.

Now during the winter, the air here gets EXTREMELY dry, and I have to either add more water sources (sponges, shallow dishes) or mist it at certain times of the day with a spray bottle. But I still don't try to go too far above 50%.

I fully agree with you about the temperature and humidity staying constant under the hen. What the hen does not have is a poxy fan incessantly blowing out of her lower bits and onto the eggs, drying them out :( ....i'm also fighting the humidity-wars with dubious success.

Last edited:
55% is, in my experience, way too high. It causes to chicks to be too large, and unable to get turned so they can pip. I've hatched BCM's at 35-40% with great results.

I think you are right about them being too big. I did the float test yesterday and dropped an egg
1f622.png
. I dont know if it died than or previously but it was not shrink wrapped but it filled the egg. Other than still absorbing a little yolk it was a perfect,beautiful baby. Friday is day 29 hoping for a miracle, but in my heart I know there is little too no chance of them hatching.
1f62d.png
1f494.png

Lost my welsummers at lock down, this is the third batch to die at lock down. . Did everything right. Checked and monitored temp and humidity washed hands at candling and disinfected the incubator each time. I'm at a loss and lost $$ for show quality eggs. Just sick and saddened.

Found out what went wrong. Ex decided I had enough chickens and turned off the incubator and took off the top for several hours while I was at work. :he :mad:

I'm going to try again in the spring. I couldn't understand why I lost three batches at lock down. 36 perfect beautiful babies. I bought some babies at the feed store but I really want to get away from hatchery stock eventually.
1f494.png

Mine runs at 45% with no water added. Louisiana has high humidity anyway. Too high of humidity is worse than too low. 100% hatch so far this time. 12 bantys and 3 ducks

I have a still air little giant i have 1 for incubating and bought another for hatching the one i bought for hatching is holding at 76% humdity has been for 3 days nows i plugged it up early to try to get it to stabilize befoe lockdown day im nervous that this is to high? But im not sure what to do to bring it down if need be? Also when i added the water i added warm water instead of cold so i think thats probably why my humdity has been so stable lol any Suggestions or advice would be awesome as today is lockdown
:fl

I have a still air little giant i have 1 for incubating and bought another for hatching the one i bought for hatching is holding at 76% humdity has been for 3 days nows i plugged it up early to try to get it to stabilize befoe lockdown day im nervous that this is to high? But im not sure what to do to bring it down if need be? Also when i added the water i added warm water instead of cold so i think thats probably why my humdity has been so stable lol any Suggestions or advice would be awesome as today is lockdown
:fl

Should be fine because it will likely drop a little when you add the eggs.

Do you have all the channels full or what?

Back
Top Bottom