What is the longest you have waited?

bcmama

Songster
8 Years
Jul 12, 2012
My Coop
My Coop
What is the longest you have waited for your EE or any breed pullet to begin laying? We are at 32 weeks now for our EE's and I'm thinking we still have some time to go???? I'm glad someone in there is laying because I know we would be crazy anxious waiting, so now we are only anxious in waiting for those eggs.

A year.
gig.gif

My first flock I was totally new at everything, I made a REALLY old fashioned coop, in other words, a house with perches, no nest boxes, and the door open all the time. They DID sleep in it, and amazingly I didn't have a predator get anyone, but with no nesting box, I had no idea when they started laying. I checked in and around that little chicken house every day, and was very disappointed. Until the day I moved a woodpile and found a HUGE nest of about a bazillion eggs. Duh me. That is when I decided to REALLY start educating myself, tore down the awful little chicken house and built a proper coop, and finally got to enjoy my own chickens eggs.

This is embarrassing to admit.
hide.gif

Ironically, I just got my first TWO eggs this morning. Both of my Barred Rocks decided to start laying on the same day. What are the chances of that? As my friend said, though... "When a group of women hangs out all they time, their cycles start to match up. Why wouldn't chickens be the same?" LoL.

One was 47g and the other was 39g. So I guess the larger one classifies as "Small" and the smaller one is classified as "Peewee" according to the U.S.D.A. Not bad for the first time, though. The shells are downright spectacular, though!

If they are grown in winter, I will wait til spring...but if they are adults in spring time and they aren't giving me eggs, then they are going to give me meat. One or the other. It is their choice. But everything has to benefit the whole...me being the whole...Lol.
We got a 7-8 month old Buff Orpington that the guy said she had laid her first small pullet egg the day we picked her up...but he lied. She didn't start laying for another 2 months...luckily I got her in winter, and she has started laying right before spring. She was starting to look mighty tasty. My husband still asks if I am sure we can't eat her. No we can't eat her! Do you see this huge beautiful brown egg? She made that. I have to have a reason for reprieve.

Last edited:
A year.
gig.gif

My first flock I was totally new at everything, I made a REALLY old fashioned coop, in other words, a house with perches, no nest boxes, and the door open all the time. They DID sleep in it, and amazingly I didn't have a predator get anyone, but with no nesting box, I had no idea when they started laying. I checked in and around that little chicken house every day, and was very disappointed. Until the day I moved a woodpile and found a HUGE nest of about a bazillion eggs. Duh me. That is when I decided to REALLY start educating myself, tore down the awful little chicken house and built a proper coop, and finally got to enjoy my own chickens eggs.

This is embarrassing to admit.
hide.gif
That is hilarious! I got a mama hen and 5 chicks from a totally free range situation. All the hundreds of chickens just wandered aimlessly happy to be chickens all over the property. So they are pretty wild...anyway the mama hen won't lay in a nest box. She has made a nest under the stairs, that her and my buff orpington both use, but I am worried about the 4 pullets getting ready to lay...I really don't want them to leave the eggs all willy nilly in the yard. I am hoping they will use the nest boxes in the coop, or at least the nest under the stairs.

Back
Top Bottom