What is the most quiet chicken?

I think all chickens make some noise when they lay an egg. If she builds a community nest box instead of individual nest boxes the noise will be somewhat contained.

A community nest box is all enclosed with an opening for the hens to enter and exit through. They usually have tops that open up for egg access and cleaning. I've seen some that are 5'Lx2'Hx3' wide. It provides the darkness they like for laying and eliminates 2 hens trying to sit in the same nest box together (which also eliminates broken eggs and egg eating). I am going to recycle an old corner cabinet and put a small door in for the girls. One community nest box can accommodate many chickens. I'll have 12 or 13 hens and I'll only need one nest.

Hi,

I don't have an answer for you but for a while, I thought I did. I have one EE that sings so quiet, you hardly notice. However, another EE pullet just started laying and I think she wants the whole neighborhood to know she is laying an egg, SO LOUD! So it just might depend on the individual hen. Wish your neighbor good luck for me! Genie

Hmmm, my chickens are NOISY in the morinings, when they see me they start up a racket!! I have probably trained them now to do that since I give them something to shut them up so they won't desturb the neighbors.

They do make an "announcement" after laying an egg. But by then all the neighbors are long gone to work.

Ophelia is very NOISY!! And when I tell her to "shush" she bawlks all the louder at me!! Who needs a rooster when you have hens that are "bawking" just as loud. Food does seem to quiet them though.

Our barred Plymouth Rock hen is very, very quiet, even when laying. She only clucks when she thinks we have a snack for her...

Back
Top Bottom