What is the piont in the chick grower?

Harley's girl

Songster
11 Years
Mar 28, 2008
Ohio (way out in the country)
Does the feed company just want more of my money? Do I really need to give them grower after they have been on starter for 3 months? Opinions please.
smile.png

If you hav meaties then I would reccomend it. If not, just switch them onto scratch grains mixed with some starter and then layer after your first egg and you'll be fine.

Buckeye feed mills makes a really neat feed specifically for layers from 12 weeks on. I've not used it yet, but am planning on it for my current babies:

FEATURES:

Complete feed for pullets from 12 weeks until they begin to lay
Contains higher levels of fiber and lower in energy than Buckeye Starter Grower Crumbles
Designed to control body weight and delay sexual maturity in order to reduce the incidence of "blowouts" and premature egg laying

Last edited:
No you do not.. chicken feed is formulated for optimum growth.

You do not mention what you want to feed as an alternative.. all feed is expensive.. unless you grow your own feed, I do not see a huge difference in price from one sort of feed to another..

I cannot tell if you are looking for advice or just letting off steam..

The nutrient requirements change as an animal grows, to help meet these needs feed companies have developed feeding programs.

In poultry the program is typically a starter, grower, layer program. This allows for different nutrients concentrations to be used.

There is no conspiracy to bilk you out of money. One must remember that many commercial broiler houses change ther feeds DAILY to meet the exact needs of the birds.

Jim

Last edited:
I would use the grower if I could find it. The only feedstore that carries Buckeye never has grower. Buckeye feeds are good feeds, IMO, if you can find them locally. I understand grower slows down the sexual development so they dont come into lay too early and have issues. I just feed starter/grower combo till they get to layer age. Works fine, uncomplicated.

All feed is expensive nowadays, but there are significant differences in the price of starter, layer, finisher, etc. I posted this same response in a thread yesterday, but cant remember where, so I will suggest what I suggested to them.
Don't worry yourself into a tizzy over feed. Think about people your grandparent's age. All they ever fed chickens was corn and table slop, and they were fine. Now they claim you need special feeds and supplements, and they must be switched from this one to that one at a certain time..etc It just causes undue stress. I have birds of different ages in the same run, and they all get the same feed. Mostly whatever's on sale that week. I have fed layer pellets to chicks, chick starter to hens, and quail feed to chickens,and have never lost a chicken to malnutrition, blowouts, or digestive problems. It just doesnt make that much difference is all I'm saying. Of course the companies that make the feed want you to think otherwise, though.

Well, I have been giving them chick starter til they are old enough to go outside. (Here about 3-3.5 months) Then I give them scratch grains and then when they are big enough to be out in the big run I give them layer grains. I always give them plenty of oyster shell. I am just hoping I am not delaying their laying. (No pun intended
lol.png
) and of course they get table scraps too.

Back
Top Bottom