What is the right humidty for lock down

digger MN

In the Brooder
9 Years
Dec 5, 2010
I locked down last night humidty was up to 75% Woke this morning 35% I can still add a container of water I think. Day 19 today. I do have them inegg cartons with bottom cut out. Temp at 100.1 right nowand plugs are out. Humidty goes down when I take out plugs. Oh this is a LG bator. I candeled them last night and seen mmovement in 18 of 20. Hate to get this far and loose them.

Plugs in or ou. or do you just take them out when it is time to pip??

Oh yes forgot, I did read on internet should be 75% on a MSU site, Then told on here to high. Have no idea what to do

Thanks for putting up with me on this.

A guy asking for help should get credit for that anyway. LOL

I don't think there is one right answer for all of us. From different posts on here, different peope get different results using the same humidity or different humidities work for different people. I don't have a LG so I can't give any advice from experience with them.

What I have been successful with with my 1588 is lower 40's during incubation and mid-60's during lockdown. When they start to hatch the humidity goes up to the mid-80's and things seem to be fine. I do think 35% is way too low. I'm not familiar with the LG but that kind of a drop makes no sense. Did you get the lid back on right when you went into lockdown? Don't ask how I know to ask this.

If you do add a container of water, I'd suggest hot water so the incubator does not have to heat it up before it starts to evaporate. I have shrink-wrapped chicks before by opening the incubator during hatch, but I think the risk of that is a lot higher once they pip. If you are going to do it, do it as soon as possible, before they pip.

Again, I don't know your incubator, but if it is a still air (no fan) I would definitely take the plugs out. The chicks need the oxygen. Mine is forced air and I still take the plugs out, but my 1588 has enough water reservoirs that I can maintain humidity when I close the lid properly.

Good luck!

I'm running an LG still air and I'm struggling with the same questions. There are way too many answers so I've decided to go with the majority and shoot for 70-75%. I cannot achieve that with both plugs out so I leave one in but have poked holes in the top (you can see the little indents where to do this) to allow for more air circulation. I can't achieve this with just filling the channels either. I followed the guidelines in this post https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=5269219#p5269219 but had to add sponges as well. My temp runs at approx 102 at the top of the egg, which is what I was told by several people to use for a model with no fan. During incubation I don't pay attention to the humidity at all. I fill the channels every few days but basically ignore it and focus on the turning and the temps. At this point, I'm still learning what works and what doesn't. Out of 3 eggs, I hatched one last week, have 12 more in now. I'm hatching Serama eggs though so I am already at a disadvantage for high hatch rates.

Last edited:
I keep my humidity around 80% and I just put 21 into lock down and 21 popped out.. Lower humidities have not worked as well for me personally.

Christal

I was told by a byc fan once that they never take their plugs out of theres, I havent taken mine out this hatch and have had good humidity so far. I also have wood heat in my house and that causes alot of dryness so I went ahead and kept them in. Just crossing my fingers till lock down on the 10th.
jumpy.gif
I hear very conflicting advice on here and it gets hard to know what method will work for you. My experience is mostly trial and error. I hope everything goes well for you!

Back
Top Bottom