What is the Size of Your Chalazae...

Bettyboop7499

Crowing
Mar 25, 2018
Traverse City, MI
Hello BYC!

My chicks have stopped laying, so when I ran out of eggs I bought "organic" from the store. What I noticed was these white twisting String like things in the eggs-everyone! After research I learned that these are called Chalazae and they help stabilize the yoke in the center of the white, there may even be two. However, I never noticed this in my farm eggs. I read the more prominent the Chalazae the fresher the egg! Well, how could that be?? You can't get any fresher than from the nest!

None of my eggs have a noticeable Chalazae. If any it is very small. What about your eggs?

Last edited:

Bettyboop7499

Crowing
Mar 25, 2018
Traverse City, MI
All my eggs vary. It seems to be a personal thing for a hen. Most hens in production are a similar breed and are bred to produce similar eggs.

Oh okay that makes sense, I have seen them in large store bought white and brown eggs, and They are always very obvious, and looks pretty gross. I have Plymouth Barred Rock hens and their eggs have very small Chalazae. At times they are barely noticeable.

oldhenlikesdogs

Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Snow
BYC Staff
Premium Feather Member
7 Years
Jul 16, 2015
Wisconsin
Oh okay that makes sense, I have seen them in large store bought white and brown eggs, and They are always very obvious, and looks pretty gross. I have Plymouth Barred Rock hens and their eggs have very small Chalazae. At times they are barely noticeable.
My current EE's have smaller ones so if I need an egg I choose them because to me they look like snot and I have to pick them out of eggs. :rolleyes:

Bettyboop7499

Crowing
Mar 25, 2018
Traverse City, MI
My current EE's have smaller ones so if I need an egg I choose them because to me they look like snot and I have to pick them out of eggs. :rolleyes:

Yes, I too do not like the way the Chalazae looks. Pretty gross! I have Plymouth Barred Rock and most of my eggs they are unnoticeable but at times they will be about 1/8th of an inch long. But nothing like store bought eggs which look like umbilical cords...no thank you!

Top Bottom