What is the Size of Your Chalazae...

Bettyboop7499

Crowing
5 Years
Mar 25, 2018
Traverse City, MI
Hello BYC!

My chicks have stopped laying, so when I ran out of eggs I bought "organic" from the store. What I noticed was these white twisting String like things in the eggs-everyone! After research I learned that these are called Chalazae and they help stabilize the yoke in the center of the white, there may even be two. However, I never noticed this in my farm eggs. I read the more prominent the Chalazae the fresher the egg! Well, how could that be?? You can't get any fresher than from the nest!

None of my eggs have a noticeable Chalazae. If any it is very small. What about your eggs?

Last edited:
All my eggs vary. It seems to be a personal thing for a hen. Most hens in production are a similar breed and are bred to produce similar eggs.

Oh okay that makes sense, I have seen them in large store bought white and brown eggs, and They are always very obvious, and looks pretty gross. I have Plymouth Barred Rock hens and their eggs have very small Chalazae. At times they are barely noticeable.

Oh okay that makes sense, I have seen them in large store bought white and brown eggs, and They are always very obvious, and looks pretty gross. I have Plymouth Barred Rock hens and their eggs have very small Chalazae. At times they are barely noticeable.
My current EE's have smaller ones so if I need an egg I choose them because to me they look like snot and I have to pick them out of eggs. :rolleyes:

My current EE's have smaller ones so if I need an egg I choose them because to me they look like snot and I have to pick them out of eggs. :rolleyes:

Yes, I too do not like the way the Chalazae looks. Pretty gross! I have Plymouth Barred Rock and most of my eggs they are unnoticeable but at times they will be about 1/8th of an inch long. But nothing like store bought eggs which look like umbilical cords...no thank you!

Back
Top Bottom