What is the status of this egg?

julskinka

Crowing
Mar 28, 2018
New Jersey (Mercer County)
EF901104-F5D4-46BC-9B30-25776AEDF789.jpeg D91FB3B0-EE1E-4F71-997A-F3F2C212705D.jpeg 9E9954F0-AFB1-4629-8473-C2FCD8FD439A.jpeg C23FA0E2-B23A-400C-842C-5799D0E2F499.jpeg DDEDD8A8-2BC0-47AD-9793-A7D0BEE50FB4.jpeg
I would like unbiased opinions on what the condition is of this chicken egg. I have my own opinion, but I want independent verification before I either throw it in an incubator or crack it open.

Is is clear? Scrambled? Incubated or unincubated? Alive? (and if so, roughly what day?) Dead? (and if so, roughly what day?) There is no movement, there are what appear to be fading blood vessels.

Thanks, very much appreciated.

I don't have a lot of experience (a little more than 10 times setting and incubating eggs) but I can share what I think based on what I've seen.

It's hard to say without seeing it in person but from the pictures it looks like it's been incubated and died (my guess it maybe made it 5-12 days then quit)? If there are a few blood vessels left I'd personally wait to do an eggtopsy and put it in an incubator just in case (it's very likely already dead but it makes me nervous opening anything that has any blood vessels left). If all the blood vessels have receded I'd go ahead and open it. If there are some fading blood vessels (not blood rings) it is likely that it died very recently, given another day or two they will very likely break down completely and clump up or disappear when candled.

This is just a guess since I've never dealt with abandoned broody eggs but if that was an egg that was abandoned by a broody and is cold it could still be alive but not moving due to being too cold, if that was the case I'd try incubating a few days and see if the blood vessels start looking better.

So this was a shipped egg that showed up like this. Seller claims there is no way this got incubated on their end, as it was laid and collected (via rollaway box) in the last 7 days. It doesn't make any sense to me.

Would anyone risk incubating it (which is what they are suggesting)? I think I see a blood ring which makes me particularly apprehensive.

So this was a shipped egg that showed up like this. Seller claims there is no way this got incubated on their end, as it was laid and collected (via rollaway box) in the last 7 days. It doesn't make any sense to me.

Would anyone risk incubating it (which is what they are suggesting)? I think I see a blood ring which makes me particularly apprehensive.

Looking again, a couple of the pics look like maybe excessive coloring or thickness to the shell. What color is it? Does the whole shell look uniform?
And how big is the air cell? The size will give you an idea of how old it is.
Circle it with pencil, then take a pic in natural light.

Looks older than 7 days to me. With shipping time, how old are they claiming it to be?
I’d have to candle some, but I have eggs on my kitchen counter that are a month old, and I don’t think the air cells are that big.

Back
Top Bottom