What is this? And how do I kill it?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by GoArmy, Aug 14, 2011.

1. GoArmy

GoArmy Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
  2. goldeneggtees

goldeneggtees Fluffy Butt Nut

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    looks like earwigs, i dont think are any threat.

3. goldeneggtees

goldeneggtees Fluffy Butt Nut

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
  4. GA_in_GA

GA_in_GA Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    Southwest Georgia
    I have found a few, before the hens did. As far as I know, they eat smaller bugs (mites, etc.) so they may be a good thing to have in the coop.

5. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    You've got to show those to your hens and let nature take its course. [​IMG]

6. GoArmy

GoArmy Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    Thanks.

There were a good bit of damp wood shavings in one corner so I cleaned them out and let the sun in there to dry things today. I like the idea of them eating mites, and of the hens eating the earwigs, so I'll chill. I do have a white light in the coop -- it runs off a battery (charged by a small solar panel on the roof). I could probably put an amber lens over the light. I need to run to Ace this afternoon, anyway.

7. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Just don't squash them--they smell awful. To the chickens, however, they're treats.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I always squash earwigs, I hate 'em. But I never noticed a smell. I know they look ferocious with that stinger thing on the back but, I read up on them and it is just sexual appartus. They love hiding in moist areas. This year for some reason I've only seen a few.

I pretty much spot kill any icky bugs from earwigs to wasps to houseflies with a spritz of spic and span spray liquid from Dollar Tree. I think the soap clogs their pores (if bugs have any) and suffocates them. It does seem to work better than the BUG sprays I buy, which really makes me wonder what is in spic and span.Oh well....

9. whoacowboy

whoacowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    Town of Clayton
    I have those in my mailbox. I give them to my chickens! They take care of the problem. [​IMG]

10. Chick1043

Chick1043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    My chickens LOVE to eat those! They are just earwigs. They won't hurt your chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by