What is this and how much do u think it will cost to fix????????

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by stephanie1992, Feb 21, 2012.

1. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

Saw this in my dogs eye. trying to find out what it is and how much it will cost to fix without having to pay extra for a vet visit. we are ganna get it fixed tho. Is it Cherry eye??

[​IMG]

2. Squawkbox

Squawkbox Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2011
    Defintely looks like cherry eye. Not sure about the price, call around.

3. stephanie1992

thank u

4. FlaRocky

FlaRocky Chillin' With My Peeps

X 2, on cherry eye. See it with hounds a lot. Bloodhounds and Beagle's I see the most. Would check around on prices. Can vary quite a bit.

Maye

5. stephanie1992

ok thanks. shes a border collie. about 9 years old.

6. NYboy

NYboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    White plains
    One of my dogs got a cherry eye at about 5 years old. After a very expensive surgery it was back 6 months later.

7. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Yessir. Cherry Eye. It is an inherited trait, I believe. Lots of beagle lines have it. Nasty expensive. Several hundred dollars for the surgery.

8. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Looks more like an eyelid tumor to me - sorry! You should have your vet look at it.

9. smac

smac Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2012
    North Alabama
    One of my Great Danes had cherry eye. It was not quite as puffy as this photo. My vet told me that it might subside with medication and did not suggest surgery because it may return. From what remember when I read about it, as long as it does not affect their vision it may be best to not have surgery. My girl has not had it again, but it has only been about 9 month ago. It did clear up relatively quickly with a pill he prescribed. Can't remember what it was. My vet bill was not terrible (less than $100 including the meds), but then again I'm familiar with huge bills just for their annual check up as I think they charge by the pound and I have some heavy babies.

10. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    I have a boxer/boston terrier mix and sometimes her eye will cherry. A quick fix for us is to put warm compresses on her eye several times a day. After a couple of days it goes down. So far it has never got bad enough to require surgery. You might try that first. I know I have deen lots at the vet going in for surgery but theirs are ones that dont go down or is obstructing their vision. Good luck to you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by