What is this coming out of my chickens head and dirty butts

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by a123andpoof, Aug 26, 2011.

1. a123andpoof

a123andpoof Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    I went to check on my chickens and one of them has a weird thing on her head it was not there before and I am not sure what to do as it looks painful

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

She is acting normal walking around foraging and what not. I would like to confine her, but dont have a big enough carrier what else can I do? I dont want the other girls pecking at it.

Also a few of my chickens have some very dirty butts, they are normally fairly clean looking is this something I should be concerned about?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Looks like she tore her face on something and you've got an open wound there.

3. a123andpoof

Mar 17, 2011
    What can I do about it?

4. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

Looks like her ear lobe has a small tear. Probably a peck from another. Just clean it up and it should heal just fine. Maybe alittle less ear lobe!. [​IMG]

5. a123andpoof

Mar 17, 2011
    What can I use to clean it up?

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Use soft tissue soaked in betadine to cleanse and disinfect it. Then apply neosporin to it as needed til it heals.

7. a123andpoof

Mar 17, 2011
    will first aid antiseptic work? and we dont have neosporin.

8. cielo

cielo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2011
    Mattawa, Washington
    Quote:Use the antiseptic for sure today to clean it then I'd encourage you to pick up some antibiotic ointment asap and use that until she heals. It almost looks like her lobe has been torn off. The reason I recommend the antibiotic ointment is that yellow goo looks like infection. Just reapply the ointment daily while she heals up. Chickens are tough and antibiotic ointment works wonders. Good catch on your part for noticing. I hope she heals well.

-Cielo

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by