What is this coming out of my chickens head and dirty butts

a123andpoof

Songster
8 Years
Mar 17, 2011
I went to check on my chickens and one of them has a weird thing on her head it was not there before and I am not sure what to do as it looks painful

DSC04787.jpg

DSC04788.jpg

DSC04791.jpg

She is acting normal walking around foraging and what not. I would like to confine her, but dont have a big enough carrier what else can I do? I dont want the other girls pecking at it.

Also a few of my chickens have some very dirty butts, they are normally fairly clean looking is this something I should be concerned about?

Looks like her ear lobe has a small tear. Probably a peck from another. Just clean it up and it should heal just fine. Maybe alittle less ear lobe!.
D.gif

Quote:
Use the antiseptic for sure today to clean it then I'd encourage you to pick up some antibiotic ointment asap and use that until she heals. It almost looks like her lobe has been torn off. The reason I recommend the antibiotic ointment is that yellow goo looks like infection. Just reapply the ointment daily while she heals up. Chickens are tough and antibiotic ointment works wonders. Good catch on your part for noticing. I hope she heals well.

-Cielo

Back
Top Bottom